:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Fifty-One

“You’re kidding me! You have to be!” Jeremy cried, doubled over in laughter. “I can’t breathe! Hahaha!”

               Casey and Lance were guffawing as well, but not nearly as hard as the blonde. I was actually afraid he would pass out from lack of oxygen. My cheeks were hot in embarrassment and I scowled at the sniggering trio. The only one mature enough to not laugh at me was Chris, but I could tell it was taking all he had to hold it in.

               “Don’t make me climb over this seat and smack you,” I warned in a quiet voice. “It’s not funny.”

               Wiping tears from his eyes, Jeremy glanced over the bus seat that was separated him and Chris from Casey and myself. “It’s so funny. Just the thought… Just the thought…” He burst out laughing again, slapping the back of the seat.

               James and Ellie, who were sitting in the seats across from Jeremy, kept sneaking curious peeks at him, their expressions amused. James was grinning widely, shooting me wicked looks. Apparently he’d heard my confession as well.

               “Stop laughing!” I tried again, glowering at Jeremy. “How would you like it if I laughed at your fears?”

               He snorted. “My fears? I think it’s pretty natural to be afraid of spiders. Aliens on the other hand…”

               My face grew darker. “It’s not aliens! It’s the idea that aliens might abduct me and, you know, harm me…”

               Finally, the dam inside Chris broke and laughter escaped his lips. This time Ellie did a double take at him. Even Lexi stared. I didn’t blame them. Chris rarely ever laughed so carefree. It made it hard for me to be mad with him for laughing.

               “Guys, guys. We should take Holly’s fears seriously,” Lance suddenly said solemnly. He glanced at Lexi, who was seated next to him, grinning, before looking back at me. “We never know. Maybe aliens will one day abduct her… and then she’ll tell them to abduct us next for revenge!”

               Seven people now started laughing. Ellie and James had overheard Lance. I threw my hands up in the air, completely frustrated. “You guys are so inconsiderate! Mr. Heywood, Mr. Ross! You two are teachers! This is like, bullying!”

               Jeremy gasped for air. “I can’t breathe!”

               “Jeremy!”

               “Mr. Ross, Mr. Heywood, Casey, Lance, Lexi, James, Ellie… I know you all may be excited, but please don’t be so loud.”

               Everyone closed their mouths immediately as Ms. Elliot frowned down on us. My heart jumped in my chest, surprised by her appearance. She always showed up at the most random moments.

               “Sorry,” Jeremy and Chris muttered together.

               “It’s fine. Just be courteous.”

               “Yes.”

               A satisfied smile crossed my face as Ms. Elliot waddled to the back of the bus. “Yeah guys. Quiet down.”

               Chris just rolled his eyes at me before turning forward. “I hope aliens abduct you tonight.”

               “Mr. Heywood!”

               Casey giggled beside me and I elbowed her. She grimaced. “That was my boob…”

               “Good!”