Chapter Sixteen

I’m sitting in the auditorium of the high school for graduation rehearsal. “Okay, Brittany Calasto come sit here between Hanna and Tiphani.” Mrs. Gemma, the principle’s assistant says to me gesturing me between two girls I never talked to before. I walk to the seat that’s between them and sit down.

            Half way through rehearsal, my father texts me, telling me he has to go to Las Vegas to look at some land that would be perfect for a new hotel.

            I walk out of the auditorium ignoring Mrs. Gemma who is calling my name telling me to walk back. Luke follows me out worried. “Brittany, what’s wrong?”

            “Nothing I need to call my father.” I say and he takes my hand. “He texted me, he’s leaving to Las Vegas to see some land.

            “Okay, I’m going to go back in there before they get me in trouble.” He says giving me a kiss before walking away.

            “Hey dad,” I say as soon as he picks up. He starts to tell me about Las Vegas again. “But daddy, you promised you wouldn’t miss my graduation.”

            “I’m not going to miss it for the world. Don’t worry, I’m leaving right now, I’ll be back either tonight or tomorrow morning. My agent told me that there’s this perfect space for the hotel and that I need to check it out before something comes up.”

            “Where am I going to stay? I don’t feel safe in the house by myself.” I ask.

            “You could stay with Luke, either he stays the night or you go there, it’s up to you, but I better get going, I can’t be late, I’ll see you tomorrow.” He says. “I love you darling.”

            “I love you too.” I say before hanging up. I walk back in and take a seat. I look around for Luke just as I get a text.

            I’m to your left. It’s from Luke. I turn my head to the left and spot him looking at me smiling. I wave a little and he waves back.

            After rehearsal, Luke walks up to me. “Your father told me to tell you that you could spend the night at my place while he’s gone.” He says and I smile and wrap my arm around his waist, his goes around my shoulder and he kisses my cheek. “Do you want to do anything today?”

            “I don’t know, we’re in L.A let’s do something fun.” I say and he takes my hand and we run to the car. He drives me to my house.

            “Go pack up some clothes, and a bathing suit, there’s a beach party today that we’re going to.” He says and I run into the house to get some stuff packed. I throw on my neon pink zebra print bikini and a summer dress over it. I put my hair in a bun, throw in my neon pink jeans and a white t-shirt in my Victoria’s Secret handbag, and grab my charger for my iPhone. I go to the kitchen to get ice pops for Luke and me.

            Once I’m in his car, I hand him the ice pop and he takes it. “Do you want to go to the beach now, or do you want to get something to eat?”

            “I’m hungry, let’s go get something to eat.” I say and he makes a turn to go to our favorite diner.

            Once we leave the diner, it’s time to head to the beach since everyone is there already. We get to the beach not even five minutes later and Chloe runs up to me. “Paparazzi are here. Be careful.” She whispers in my ear while we’re hugging.

            “I don’t care.” I whisper back. “I’m not keeping my life a secret anymore.” I say to her I grab her and Luke’s hand and we set up our towels next to each other. “Now let’s go swim.” I say throwing my dress on the floor. Once I hit the water Luke grabs me and picks me up walking farther out. “Luke, put me down.” I say hitting his back.