Chapter Eight

When I get to school for the first time after the fight between Brian and Luke everyone starts to look at me knowing what happened. They all know I’m the reason Luke went to jail. How did they all find out over one weekend? The fucking news, that’s how. Now they won’t stop talking about it, talking about me even. It seems like every school I go to, I’m always the one they talk about, thanks to my father and his hotels. The thing is I don’t want to be selfish and blame him for it. After all, it’s his dream come true and I don’t want him to regret it.

            I go straight to my locker ignoring all the glares and smirks. As soon as I open it, I hear someone whisper in my ear. “Hello beautiful.” I turn to see Luke with the biggest smile on his face.

            “Hey.” I say shyly, grabbing my books then shutting the locker closed. I start to walk away and he runs after me. He could definitely tell something is wrong because he runs in front of me stopping me from taking any more steps.

            “What’s wrong?” He says and he knows it’s because of the weekend.

            “Nothing is wrong with me, why would there be something wrong?” I say before starting to walk again.

            “This isn’t about me hitting that bastard is it?” He says taking my arm to somewhere more private.

            “No, I thank you for that, I really do.” I say and the tears start to come.

            He hugs me warmly and sits against one of the walls. “Than what is it?” He asks and I look at him and stand up.

            “You got arrested for me, it wasn’t worth it. You will hold that all your life, and it’s for someone you just met.”

            “It was most definitely worth it. I enjoyed every second of that fight. He got what he deserved.”

            “But you didn’t. You didn’t deserve to get arrested.” I say and he could tell it’s not only the fight that got me pissed off but also something that happened before I even moved here. He hugs me warmly once more as soon as he stands back up.

            “Look, if it’s for you I wouldn’t mind going to prison for ten years if it’s from protecting your life.”

            “Why are you doing this to me? Why are you being so nice, when everyone else is being so mean?”

            “Because I care about you, I know I barely know you, but I do. I haven’t felt this way with anyone before. Now tell me, what else is bothering you besides the fact that I got arrested.”

            “I don’t even want to think about the past, let alone talk about it.” The first morning bell rings letting us know we have ten minutes until class starts.

            “I know he’s done something to you. If you don’t want to talk about it, I’m not going to make you. But you know you could talk to me about anything.” He says with a comforting smile.

            “I’ll keep that in mind.” I say faking a smile. We start to walk together in silence. “Thank you.” I whisper just as we walk into the loud part of the school.

            “What are you thanking me for?” He asks confused.

            “For being the one to comfort me,” I reply with a smile remembering why I love him so much, not that I’m in love with him, not yet anyways. He’s been the only one I could actually talk to, other than Chloe that is.