Chapter Nine

It’s finally my birthday. I’m officially 18 so my father takes me to get my license as soon as I wake up so I could stop getting rides from my friends. As soon as I find out I passed the test I drive home to drop my father off to his car and meet up with Luke.

            I meet him at the mall and he walks me into the summer store. “What are we doing here?” I ask confused.

            “Um, you’re getting yourself a bathing suit that you’re wearing today. Make sure you absolutely love it.” He says walking around to shop for himself. He finds his pair of swimming shorts.

            “I have bathing suits at home Luke. I don’t need to buy a new one.” I say.

            “This one is from me, so you could wear it today. Just please don’t make this harder than it has to be.” He says paying for his shorts.

            “Are you wearing those shorts today?” I ask and he nods his head taking his shopping bag. “Good, than help me find something to match it. Luke looks at me with the biggest smile on his face.

            “Are you sure?” He asks following me to the bikini section.

            “Of course I’m sure now help me look.”

            Half an hour later, we get to the beach and it’s crowded with teenagers and families. “What’s going on here? It’s packed.”

            “You’ll see.” He says with smile on his face. He parks the car at the end of the parking lot to avoid people’s gazes. “Do you want to go first or should I because I know paparazzi are going to be here.” He says.

            I grab my bag and I start walking. “I’ll go first, than you join me.” I say with a wink. I mean come on, I really don’t want a boyfriend right now, but Luke is just too sweet to avoid. Maybe it’s time to forget about Brian and move on. I’ve been hiding who I am because of the media. Luke is just too sweet and if it were, the media telling people that Luke is my new boyfriend let it be that. I trust Luke not to break my heart the way Brian did.

            After a few steps, I stop and turn around and run into his arms. “I’m not scared of anyone.” I say kissing his lips. He gives me a confused look and I look at him. “I want us to go out there together.” I say and he smiles but the smile fades right away. “What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing, I just don’t think right now is the right time.” He says.

            “Why not, it’s the perfect time. Look how crowded it is.” I say taking his hand. “I’m not scared of them anymore it was him I was scared of. I was never scared of the media.”

            “I know that’s why it’s not the right time. He’s still in L.A. If I ever have to see his face again I’m going to end up killing him.”

            “I don’t care about him though.”

            “I know you don’t, but I care about you, a lot. And I know he’s not scared to hurt me or you.”     

            “Just come with me, that’ll be the birthday gift from you.” I say grabbing his arm to walk with me. He starts to walk with me after convincing him.

            We get to where everyone is and my father walks up to me. “Hey daddy,” I say giving him a hug. Chloe comes up to us so she could take a picture.

            After saying hi to everyone I know, Luke and I walk along the shore so we could talk in private. I take my sundress off and go deeper in the water and Luke follows. “Why are you thinking against it?” I ask and he looks at me. “I mean us being something.”