Chapter 33: Three days

Start from the beginning

"I agree with Jawa." Zoe pitches in.

"Me too." Chip agrees as well, and Mike just nods, still deciding against speaking next to Ben.

"Alright, then that's settled," I say while standing up and walking up to the computer where I know grandad left some radio transmitters for everyone to use. I picked them up and gave them out to everyone. "If someone finds out something use these to contact everyone."

"Great," Chip says while he and everyone else fits in their ears the new tech they received. "Good luck everyone. We will be on our way then."

"I'm meeting up with Catherine!" Zoe calls out once they open the door to walk out of the room.

"Wait Zoe, no! I don't want to be with Cyrus. He scares me!" Mike speaks up for the first time with uneasiness to his voice, clearly not happy that he is the one meeting up with Cyrus.

Zoe doesn't even look back but just calls back. "Too late." 

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey, guys I just met up with Cyrus, and bad news. There is nothing in the coffee shop that can help us." Mike informed us over the transmitters.

"Alright, keep us connected if you find anything else useful then," I said feeling frustrated that our only lead came to a dead end.

"Sure thing."

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey, Jawa look! Do you see that bird? Does it look suspicious to you?"  We could hear Chip on the other end of the transmitter. 

"No Chip, it looks like a random bird to me."

"I don't know... I have a bad feeling about him."

"Chip, what are you talking about?" Jawa asked sounding annoyed now.

"I don't know, but I'm betting he even has a suspicious name like Billy, or Sam, or Bucky, or maybe Billy the bird... oh, or maybe his name is just bird. Every bird's whose name is just Bird is suspicious."

"Chip shut up or turn off your transmitter! No one need's to hear this!" I finally snapped not being able to listen to Chip's constant blabbering about something that can't help any of us at all.

"Alright, alright but all of you remember this conversation if that bird is going to ruin this mission."

"Chip shut up!"

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey, guys there is something suspicious here." Chip said.

"If it's anything to do with a bird again, just don't even try to continue what you wanted to say to us and turn off your transmitter," I said to him, trying to hide my current frustration as best as I could.

"But, this one look's even more suspicious than the one we saw yesterday."

"Bye Chip."

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ben's POV

It has been 3 days since all of us started our search for Joshua, but so far we had nothing new. These days have somehow been unproductive and hectic at the same time. Erica and I have not found anything useful, the same goes for everyone else. Even Cyrus and Mike weren't able to find anything in the coffee shop so that lead also reached a dead end.

I know we technically still have 3 days left until our so-called deadline, but still, the complete lack of information is making me and Erica uneasy. So much so, that we have been at each other's throats these past few days. We have had arguments about small things mostly. Like what we should eat or when we should change shifts. We had disagreements about where we should look next and similar other things, but none of them ended in fights. Not until yesterday when I took our conversation too far.