Chapter 25: Blaze

Well, today I had a sudden burst of inspiration. XD Wrote it all in one day.

I think you are all in for quite a ride and I hope this chapter will surprise you in some way. Oh, and this is quite a long one again. About 3240 words. :P

Ben's POV

It was the middle of the night and I still couldn't sleep. I was tossing from one side to the other trying my hardest to get some rest, but I couldn't because events from yesterday were still fresh in my mind.

The feeling of holding Erica in my arms and her head resting against my shoulder was irreplaceable. For me, it felt so right, it felt like that's how it was supposed to be all this time. When we split up, it felt like she took a piece of me with her and now if I want to feel truly like myself again, I have to have her next to me.

I think this is the first time in my life when I don't know what time it is. Thinking of her has just made me lose myself from the world and any seance of time I have had my whole life is lost. The strange thing is, I loved the feeling. The feeling of not having a million thoughts racing through me, but just one, the one that is the most important to me right now.

After a while, I understood that even though sleeping would be good for me, it's not going to happen. So I sat up from the couch. I looked at the place where just a few hours ago I kissed Erica and my heart skipped a beat.

"Well hello, Ben. It's nice to see you again after all these years." My head turned in the direction of the mysterious voice. It came from the side of the room where the dining table was located and sure enough, once my eyes adjusted to the lighting, I saw two figures sitting exactly there. They were two men, one of them seemed familiar, but the other I recognized right away. It was Joshua.

To be completely honest, it is hard to not recognize him. Not much has changed, he still had the two robotic limbs and a missing eye. Those qualities make him quite recognizable.

"You know I'm not even going to ask you why you are sleeping on your couch. You have always struck me as an odd personality." Joshua continued talking. By the looks of things he already made himself feel right at home. His legs were perched up on the table and he was looking at his phone. "So how have you been? Haven't seen you in years. Of course, if you don't count our brief conversation a few days ago."

I didn't say anything back because I was still shocked that he was here, sitting in front of me. How did he get in here, without me noticing?

"So, as I can see, you are also choosing the route of not saying anything. Just like Erica." He put his phone away and looked at me with a wicked smile on his face. "Sorry about that by the way. I know she meant a lot to you, but I just really had no choice. I did ask her a lot of times if she maybe would change her mind and join me, but Erica was stubborn as hell. In the end, I understood that she has been in my way for far too long and I had to make the decision to kill her."

I listened to him and realized that they don't know that Erica is alive and is even in the next room. Erica's plan of keeping in the dark has worked for now and, if nothing goes wrong, can really work in our favor to stop them. Now I just somehow have to act along that she is dead and try my hardest not to give anything away. "And blowing her up was your best option?" I stared him down.

"I admit, the whole plan was quite sloppy and I am surprised that it worked. I guess over the years, the stress got to her." He put his feet on the floor and placed his hand on his knee, leaning a bit forward.

"And what did the higher-ups of SPYDER say to you after you successfully got rid of the spy that was causing them problems?" As I said that I realized I didn't really have to try too hard to sound upset at him. Even tho I knew that Erica was alive, I was still angry at him, angry about everything that he has done to me, to Erica and to the other people who have suffered because of his actions.