Chapter 15: Don't do it

Ben's POV

Day's went by and nothing changed. After every few days, I got some news from Catherine, but nothing was newsworthy. From what I could understand, SPYDER has gone quiet and nothing suspicious has happened yet. I don't know if I should be happy or nervous, because, yes they are quiet for now, but at the same time, they can be planning something big and surprise us at an unexpected time.

As much as I didn't want to, I still continued to work at the bar. Well ok, I still liked working there, but ever since Erica has been in danger, it's hard for me to just act like nothing is happening and do nothing to help her.

How much longer can this go on? With each night I get less and less sleep and now I'm living just on coffee.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

I was sitting on the couch, watching some shows on the TV, trying, but failing, to distract myself when a few minutes later I see my phone start to ring. It was Catherine.

I quickly picked it up and answered: "Yes Catherine! What's happening?"

"Ben, Erica just got a lead and right now is getting ready to go and find out what SPYDER is doing." She said, in a hushed tone.

Oh, no, no, no!: " Where is she going?"

"I will send you the coordinates, but just know that she will not be happy to see you."

"Yeah, I know that, but I have to do something. Thank you for telling me this."

"Well, I did promise. See you there Benjamin." With that, she ended the phone call. I got the coordinates and was on my way.

XXXXXXXXXXX

The location was quite far away, even driving there with my car, took me an hour to get to my destination.

I stepped out of my car and literally ran to the place, Catherine told me they would be at. I was in the woods, and from what I could tell, SPYDERS base was an abandoned mansion-like building at one side of the forest, in a grassy field, surrounded by trees.

Running closer to my destination I could see the building. It wasn't in that bad of a shape, considering that no one has lived there for a while. How does SPYDER find these places?

I looked around and finally found them. They were hiding behind trees and shrubs, quite far away from the mansion, but in a place, where you could still see what's happening. It has been a while since I have seen Erica and the sight of her made my heart race. The only thing missing was a smile on her face, but that is my fault that it's nowhere to be seen.

When I reached them, I was out of breath. I guess even with all that training, I am still out of shape.

From what I could see, Erica was getting ready to go in SPYDER base. Next to her, was her mother and the other agents that were at the scene when I went to save her before. Together they were 5 in total. Knowing that I don't have a lot of time left, I ran up to them.

"Erica wait! This is not a good idea. Please listen to me!" I guess I yelled, but it wasn't loud enough, to inform the SPYDER agent's that we are here.

Erica quickly turned around and when she saw me, she turned into a new kind of angry: "What are you doing here? How did you know we were here?"

"Erica I know you hate me, but you have to understand, that right now, you are in big danger. If SPYDER said that you are their next target, then you shouldn't just walk in their base, not knowing any more information."

She looked at her mother with disbelief: "You were the one who told him our location and plans. Didn't you?"

Catherine was debating her next choice of action, but soon she decided, that she would try to persuade Erica like I am trying right now. "Look, Erica, I'm sorry, but Ben is right. You shouldn't just"

"No mother, I have heard enough!" Erica looked at her mother and then back to me."McClane, Farrell, Whitney, all of you don't allow my mother or Ripley to stop me. Stay here and don't allow them to follow me. I will go alone and if something happens I will keep in touch, but nothing will happen." Erica looked at me when she finished her sentence. "I will deal with both of you when I come back."

With that, Erica turned around and was on her way. I wanted to follow her, but before I could, two of the agents that were next to us tackled me to the ground. "Why did you have to tackle me?!"

One of them answered: "Didn't you hear what Miss Hale said? We can't allow you or... Ms. Hale here to mess everything up." I know he was trying to be professional, but just for the sake of me understanding him, he could have said me and Catherine, but ok.

I looked at Catherina and saw that the third agent was holding her by her shoulder, in a tight grip. I knew that she would easily be able to get away, but that would not really help us. Erica is already in SPYDERS base and if we go in there right now, it will only give us a bigger chance to raise the alarm then if we stay here. My concern is that SPYDER already knows that Erica is here since she probably is the target.

When Catherine looked back at me, I could see that both of us had no idea of what to do. Right now Erica is basically presenting herself on a platter, for SPYDER to just do whatever they want with her and we are trapped here.

Erica's POV

How could she!? My own mother, going against me. How could she tell Ben what's happening, when I strictly told her not to? Both of them think that they know what's best for me, but they clearly don't.

I can't believe, that once I allowed myself to think, that relationships, aren't actually that bad in this line of work. This situation just proved my point further, relationships mess everything up.