Chapter 29: Departure

Ben's POV

Cyrus set up the equipment in the living room and together with Erica they were carefully looking for any news about Blaze. For now, there was still nothing but for the first time in days, Erica had fire in her eyes. Her fingers danced across the keyboard of the computer that Cyrus brought with him. I could see that she was happy to finally occupy her brain with something else then just worry and felt in her element once she went to work with finding new information.

Personally, the device didn't look any different than just a normal computer, but apparently, these were better. No one explained anything to me, but from what I understood it was official CIA equipment that would provide us with everything we could possibly need while still keeping us safe.

Even though Erica's mom and grandfather have been here for a few hours, I was still genuinely scared for what Cyrus could do to me after all this ends. I still couldn't find a way to make him not hold a grudge on me.

About an hour ago Erica tried to talk to him about how I am really sorry for what I did, but was only able to persuade him to not do anything to me until the end of the mission. She said that I can be useful to them. Even though I was happy that she was on my side, I was a bit sad when the only thing that she could say about me was that I can maybe be of help. To put things simply, that hurt.

"Benjamin, can you please come here and help me with dinner?" Catherine called from the kitchen.

I stood up and walked into the other room, happy that someone actually wants my help. I was getting tired of just sitting in one place and being scared of the looks Cyrus was giving me every now and again. "Of course I can. What do you need me to do?"

"Can you please cut up those vegetables. I know full well that those two will just be sitting there for hours not even once thinking about food so I came prepared." Catherine said while she finished cutting up the chicken and threw the pieces in the pan.

"Alright," I said walking to the sink before I started to do anything else.

I noticed that Catherine was looking at me out of the corner of her eyes and I couldn't help but just feel uneasy about what is about to happen. I knew she has something on her mind.

"So how are you feeling?" She asked after a brief pause.

"Well, things could be better, but what can I do," I said, being careful not to say anything I am not supposed to.

"I still can't believe Joshua could do something like that. I knew he was too far gone, but this is just crazy. Once Erica called and told me what happened I was really in shock." She looked at me with a sympathetic look in her eyes. "You really did have a beautiful apartment, it is a shame."

At that moment I didn't know what to say so I just nodded. I knew that even though I have been telling everyone that I am fine, deep down I was angry about what he has done.

"You know, you are allowed to be angry at him. You don't have to act like everything is fine." Catherine spoke up again after a brief pause.

"I know, but I don't want to think about it too much. The more I will, the more I will be distracted. That can't happen because if it will... everything can go sideways real quick."

"Want to change the subject?" Her eyes sparkled with mischief and I got a bit scared.

"That would be nice, yes." Hesitantly I replied.

"Well then, how are things with you and Erica?"

I should have known Catherine would ask me this question, but still, like an idiot, I played right into her trap. "Umm... I don't have a lot to say. Actually, can we change the subject again?"