Chapter 44 // Goodbye

Start from the beginning

The drive to the airport seemed shorter than usual, and maybe it was just because I wasn't even paying attention to where I was going, I was just thinking of Cassidy and how I hope that I didn't screw my chances up of every seeing her again. I hope this wouldn't be a repeat of four years ago.

A group of fans were lined up outside of the airport and I waved to them, but couldn't bare myself to stop. My eyes were probably all red and puffy and there was no way I'd be able to smile. "I'm sorry, guys. Thank you for coming though," I mumbled, keeping my head low so they wouldn't see that I was on the verge of tears.

"Cal!" Ashton yelled, waving me over to where the other three were. I strolled over to them, puffing up my chest to seem tougher. "Did you break up with Cass last night?"

"Yeah."

He gave me a high five. "Atta boy! I'm going to miss her, but like, now we have the four of us all single and all ready to party and to only have to focus on our music. It's going to be the best tour ever."

They all cheered, but I stayed silent, my lips barely curving into a smile. Luke seemed to notice this, and he placed a hand on my shoulder. "You'll be okay, bud. She loves you. You guys will pick up where you left off right when the tour is over."

I shrugged. "I don't know, Luke. She was really mad last night. And she could not stop crying."

Luke frowned. "Well how did she act this morning?"

I glanced up at him. "I didn't even talk to her this morning."

His eyes widened, as if this was the most shocking news he had ever heard. "She was that mad still? Oh my God."

I furred my eyebrows together in confusion. He must have completely misinterpreted my statement. "No, like, I didn't wake her up because I didn't want to see her mad or sad. I just left."

Luke, and even Michael, who must have been eavesdropping, let out a loud gasp. They shared a look of disbelief with each other. "Are you kidding me, Calum?" Luke screamed, earning glimpses in our direction from nearby people. "You're such an idiot, you know that? You can't just leave her without saying goodbye! That is so awful."

"I even said goodbye to Bree this morning and we were just a fling. You actually are like in love with Cassidy! You can't just leave!" Michael scolded, his cheeks growing red with anger.

Ashton clenched her jaw together tightly. "Calum, you need to call her right now."

I shook my head rapidly, feeling the fear build up inside of me as I pictured her waking up without me there. "I- I can't do that. No."

Luke gripped onto both of my shoulders, a stern expression plastered over his face as his blue eyes stared into mine. "If you don't, I will."

Jealousy swept over me as I remembered their almost relationship. I didn't want him to seem like the good guy. "Fine," I mumbled, taking my phone out of my pocket.

Since it was on silent because I was driving, I hadn't even felt all of the messages I had gotten. And they were all from Cassidy. "Shit, she's already awake," I complained as I unlocked my phone to read them all, making the boys all sigh in disappointment.

From: goldilocks- calum where are you
From: goldilocks- calum please tell me you didn't leave
From:goldilocks- no no no this has to be a joke

From: goldilocks- calum did you really go to the airport oh my god
From: goldilocks- i didn't even get to say goodbye to you
From: goldilocks- how could you just leave me without saying goodbye