Chapter 27 // Scare

•Cassidy

I slipped through the front door of Calum's house to exit it quietly, hoping not to wake anyone else up. Although this sneaking around thing is kind of fun, I was actually nervous about getting caught and the consequences that would follow.

The cool air tickled against my face as soon as I hit the outdoors, making a shiver climb up my spine. It was approaching midnight, but I was wide awake since my internal body clock had been tampered with.

I went inside my home momentarily in order to grab the keys to my car that I always kept in the garage. Driving was one of my favorite pastimes. For some reason I found the roar of the tires against the paved roads to be a soothing sound and it always helped relax me.

My butt planted itself in the driver's seat, which felt odd since I've been used to driving in America, and I twisted the key into the ignition. My palms gripped tightly onto the leather steering wheel as I placed the vehicle and reverse and backed out of my driveway.

The neighborhood presented the same picturesque feel that I always admired. Everyone had kept up with their landscaping and the houses were still painted the same colors that I recalled. Visions of myself as a child running down those sidewalks filled my brain with every mile I drove.

I finally parked at the diner that I used to always eat at, since I was growing hungry and this was the only place that was open. The fluorescent lighting of the "open" sign was flickering and their seemed to be only one cluster of customers huddled into the booth in the back.

A bell hanging from the ceiling chimed as I took a step into the lonely diner. All heads turned towards me in an instant, with several of those people curled up in the booth whipping out their phones to take a picture of me. I sucked in a deep breath, suddenly regretting my decision of stopping to eat so late at night without any bit of security nearby.

"Hi Cassidy! Are you back in Sydney?" The hostess asked as she clutched onto the laminate menus. She chuckled nervously. "I mean, obviously you are since you are here. But, I uh, I meant like I didn't know you were coming back."

Typically when I would come home I would try to stay as under the radar as possible. I appreciated the fact that so many of the natives here knew who I was and were proud that someone in their community had became successful, but I really only wanted to spend time with my family and some friends.

I smiled at her sweetly. "Yeah, I came home for a little bit."

"Awesome," She replied quickly, grinning up at me with awe. "You can sit in this booth right here, if you'd like?"

I nodded, sliding into the cushioned seat and grasping the menu as the hostess handed it to me. I scanned over the page for barely a second before instantly knowing my choice. I was craving scrambled eggs and bacon, and that was exactly what I intended on getting.

As I waited for someone to take my order, my phone buzzed with a new message, which thankfully pulled me out of my dreary state of sitting alone.

To: goldilocks- parents are asleep now. come over

To: Cal- they were asleep last time too

To: goldilocks- sassy cassie strikes again

To: goldilocks- please come over baby i can't sleep without you

To: Cal- i'm at the diner right now :(

To: goldilocks- wtf it's late come home

To: Cal- i wanted eggs