Chapter 6

------------------------------

Cameron's POV

After last night's shift I got home and passed out from pure exhaustion. Luckily I had a quiet dreamless sleep. Today was Saturday, thankfully I had tonight off. Unfortunately, I had to work the next day. The club always had events going on all day Sundays, everything usually ended by midnight which is better than 3 in the morning. Sunday's were always the hardest because the shifts were the longest. I was not looking forward to an eleven hour shift.

Today I had to do something else I dreaded. Today was visitation day. I sighed and got ready, mentally preparing myself for how draining today was going to be. After making sure Roberto had everything he needed; clean litter box, a full bowl, and a couple kisses, I was on my way. It took about an hour since the institution was on the outskirts of the city. As I parked I took a minute to examine the building. At sixteen floors it towered way over what I could see through my windshield. I eyed the barred windows as I made my way to the front door. After making my way through security I arrived at the front desk.

"Name?"

"Cameron Williams." I replied handing her my ID.

After checking in and getting a visitors tag I made my way to the elevator and pressing the button for the fifth floor. I tapped my foot as I waited for it to reach my destination. Once on the fifth floor I made my way to yet another front desk.

"Hi honey, long time no see. Here to see Kylie again?" Miranda, the nurse at the front desk asked. I tried to smile, though I'm sure it came out more as a grimace, and nodded. Most of the workers on the fifth floor knew me, I was here weekly after all. Try as I might, I couldn't bring myself to come more than once a week.

She smiled at me one more time and buzzed me through the doors. Another nurse escorted me over to Kylie, all the while updating me on her progress.

"Now, just a warning, this doesn't seem to be a great day for Kylie." He stated as we walked towards her. I sighed, it seemed like recently no day was a good day for Kylie. I thanked the nurse and sat across from her at the little table she was at by the window.

"Hey, mom, how're you doing?" I asked watching her shift around and stare out the window. I wondered if I was going to get much of a conversation out of her today.

"It's been a week since I've been here last, nothing much has happened. I did teach Roberto a fun new trick though. He can now jump through a hoop for a treat." I said smiling. I continued to talk to her, telling her random stories here and there and showing her pictures on my phone for the next hour or so. So far she was pretty non responsive. I knew she heard me, her occasional lip twitches at my stories were enough. I watched as she rocked herself slightly while chewing on one of her finger nails.

"I heard they switched your meds again, do they seem to be helping?" At that she snapped her head to me, staring at me.

She groaned, "I want to go home Cammy, take me home. Where am I? I don't like it here! They're not nice at all!" She cried slamming her hand on the table. I sighed and reached for her hand.

"Come on mom, you know they're only here to help. I promise everyone here is so nice." I tried to console her. Watching her suffer like this was hard, communicating with her at all wore on me more than I'd like to admit.

She yanked her hand away from mine and slapped me while glaring daggers at me. "You're just like them! Devil boy! There's demons inside of you! You want me to go to hell, just like these, these heathens!" She screamed knocking her chair over as she stood.

"Mom, calm down. It's okay," I tried to soothe as I also got up and backed away a bit. I could see a couple nurses rushing over, one had what looked like a syringe meant for my mother. I frowned at that knowing they were going to have to drug her, again. I watched as the reached her, grabbed her arm, gently but firmly, and stuck the syringe in before she had the chance to stop them. As she started to slump down another nurse came over with a wheelchair. As the wheeled her off one of the nurses stayed to talk with me.

"That's the third time this week," He said sadly. "She's been getting worse, unfortunately. She has her good days, I'm sorry you fell onto one of the worse days." He said patting me on the shoulder.

"It's alright Hector, I appreciate what you all are doing. I better get going. I'll see you next week," I said weakly, smiling softly once more at him before going back through the doors. After checking out a both desks I finally slumped down in my car and cried. I cried for my mom, I cried for my dad, and most of all I cried for what my family could have been. As I was sitting there going over the conversation I had with my mother, I had a realization. Medication. I haven't been taking my medication. I don't even know the last time I got it refilled. Fuck. This will have to wait until Monday, unfortunately.

I sniffed one final time and wiped my face and checked my cheek in the rearview mirror. Thankfully it was only a little pink and would most likely be back to normal within the hour. I checked my reflection one last time before starting my car and heading home. About halfway there I got a call. Answering through the bluetooth on my car I didn't give more than a basic, "Hello?"

"Cameron, hey, I hate to do this to you, I know it's your day off but I'm desperate. Greg was supposed to watch the doors tonight but he broke his arm and is going to be at the hospital all night, is there any way you could come in?" Graham spoked from the other end. Ah, fuck me. I can't say no. I need the money, and I've never been able to say no to him.

"Uh, sure. What time?"

"Oh great!" He exclaimed sounding relieved. "Is there any way you could come in now? We're opening a bit early today for a show and people are going to start showing up soon. This is a member only event so it shouldn't be too busy to start."

"Yeah, okay, I'm about fifteen minutes away." I said, gripping the wheel a bit tighter. I really did not have the mental capacity for work tonight.

"Great! I will see you when you get here then. Drive safe, Cameron." Graham said before hanging up. I sighed and finished my drive to work. The last place I wanted to be. With one final look in the rear view mirror, I grimaced and made my way out of the car and into the club. I looked like shit but there wasn't much I could do about that. I went off to find either Damien or Graham for my walkie and clipboard. Events like this always had a guest list.

As I was wandering the halls I heard behind me, "Cameron! Hey, I have your things for you."

I turned and was not expecting to come face to face with Gavin. It took everything in me to school my features. I so did not need the inner turmoil he always caused me on top of my already frayed nerves. I looked down at the walkie and clipboard he was holding out to me. I took them with a soft, "Thanks."

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked catching my arm before I could slink off. I inwardly shuddered at the innocent touch. I turned to face him again and swallowed. I tried to give off my best, I'm totally relaxed and not all all overwhelmed face.

"Yeah I'm alright, just a long day." I sighed. "I don't mean to be rude, but I need to get to the doors before opening." Gavin examined my face one more time before releasing my arm and nodding.

"Of course, I'm supervisor tonight since Damien will be otherwise occupied, so if you need anything don't hesitate to reach out through the walkie to me." I nodded at that and turned away before I turned into a big ole Cameron puddle in front of him.

Tonight was going to be a long night.

Soooooo next Saturday is my birthday! Finally on a Saturday and I can't do anything lol. But! If y'all blow this up this week, as a treat I'll post TWO chapters next week. One Friday and one Saturday 🥰 (9/25/2020)