Part 2: Berlin

"Yes, the package will arrive shortly madame...Of course...yes.. Thank you. You too," Thomas hung up the phone on the counter sighing. He ran his tired fingers through his hair and looked longingly towards the exit. He was exhausted today, more so than usual. His dreams, more like nightmares, had left him awake at night, so by the time his shift started he had gotten little to no sleep.

Thomas couldn't stop thinking about Annalise. A few days after her death 5 years ago, Kit informed him that he couldn't figure out who had leaked the info to tip-off Clarke, but left Corbyn's number in case Thomas had any additional questions. Thomas hadn't spoken to Kit since then. Breaking out of his daze, he focused back on the computer screen in front of him. He had to make arrangements for the late night guests that were coming in. The hotel wasn't too busy today and there wasn't that much bustle outside.

The hotel was situated just a bit on the outskirts of Berlin, so it made sense why there weren't that many people staying there. The day manager, Paul, walked up to Thomas and tapped him on his shoulder. "Thomas, there's going to be another late night arrival." "What? I thought this was all?" questioned Thomas, referencing the list he just pulled up on his computer. "Well, there's just been an additional group," replied Paul as he pointed to a name on the screen, "See?"

Thomas squinted his eyes and looked at the last name on the list: "Samuel L. Clarke." Thomas felt his insides churn. Annalise's dead body flashed before his eyes and he fought the urge to throw up. "I trust you know how to manage on your own?" asked Paul. Thomas nodded and waved his co-worker off. Shortly afterwards, the sound of a helicopter over the hotel made its way into Thomas's ears. The door opened and Samuel L. Clarke entered with his men strolling in behind. Thomas straightened his back, faked an award winning smile, and proceeded to welcome the guests in.

"My name's Greene. I'm the night manager," he introduced himself. "Welcome to The Leon Hotel. They told me you would be arriving late tonight. I trust the trip over here went smoothly?"

"Yes, the weather wasn't too bad. Been through worse," responded Clarke. Thomas was surprised by the amiability that Clarke seemed to display, but berated himself for thinking that. This was, after all, the same ruthless murderer of Annalise. He clenched his fists.

"Davies? What are you doing?" asked Clarke. "Signing some bogus documents, Clarke."

"I'm terribly sorry about that," said Thomas, "The German government insists on it, I'm afraid. Precautions." "Is that so?" As Davies finished signing the documents, Thomas asked, "Allow me to show you all to your rooms," while gesturing towards the hallway. The group proceeded to follow Thomas into the elevator up to their suite. Thomas took note as he was leading the men to their rooms of how close one of the young men was to Clarke and how Clarke's hand was resting just a bit below the waist.

"Must be lovers," he thought. Of course it was none of Thomas's business about who Clarke chose to be involved with, but it sparked curiosity in Thomas of how the young man fell in love with Clarke. Did he even know what Clarke was doing? What his job was? Thomas decided not to dwell too much on that and focused on doing his job.

"What do you think of Berlin so far, Mr. Clarke? All good things I hope?" Thomas asked.

"It's much different than what I remember, but it's bearable I would say," Clarke paused and looked at Thomas, "You British, Greene?" "To my very heart, sir," replied Thomas. "Right. Been here long then? I don't remember seeing you here during my last visit."

"I've only been here for about three years, sir."

"And before that?"

"Before that, I was in China, and before that I was in New York—"

THE GREENE FILESजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें