Chapter Forty Five: Moved On.

tw//abusive behaviour

Samantha

I was back to staring at my closet.

What do I fucking wear this time?

I was hell-bent on impressing her.

Meanwhile, Alex was already in a suit, waiting in the living room.

I skimmed through some gowns before my eyes landed on a golden fit, decorated with a little bit of glitter but not too much. It was still classy enough.

"Will it fit though?" I said to myself.

That's when Alex had walked in.

"Maybe if you'd cut down on food like I keep telling you to, you wouldn't be this fat," he remarked.

"Fuck off," I replied.

He walked over to me and roughly grabbed my arm.

I looked up at him, meeting his gaze head on.

"You better watch that attitude once we get there," he whispered in my ear.

And then he let go of me and walked out. I saw that a bruise had formed on my arm.

Fuck. Now I have to cover this up.

But I decided to wear the gold gown anyway.

A coat is more than good enough to hide it.

I spent the next thirty minutes getting ready, doing my hair in a messy bun and wearing light makeup, nude lipstick. In the end, I stared at myself in the mirror, admiring my own work.

My eyes slid over the neat makeup and golden earrings. And then over the dress that clung to my curves.

He was right, though. I wasn't exactly thin anymore.

I let out a sigh.

Will she notice it, too?

But it was too late to change into something more loose-fitting. And so I decided to just wear my brown coat all night and not take it off.

I shrugged it on and hid my body with it, staring at the mirror once again.

This will do.

Putting on some gold pumps, I walked out.

***

We arrived at the hotel in time and stood at the entrance. Alex was waiting for some of his colleagues and friends, while I was waiting for her.

Not seeing her after a few tedious minutes of waiting, I walked over to the doorman and asked if he saw a businesswoman.

He said no.

I groaned and walked back to the front.

Alex was watching me, wondering who had me waiting.

I usually just accompany him and wait for us to leave. I'm usually never on my own. After two more minutes, I walked over to him and stood beside him and his friends, greeting them and making small talk to pass time.

"What's this I hear about a female businesswoman tonight?" Alex asked his friend, Tom, after a few minutes of idle talk.

"There's one coming tonight. Moved here from LA, apparently."

Hell, yeah.

"Oh, really?" I asked, pretending to be surprised.

"Yeah," he nodded. "I'm impressed with the work she does. Quite an empire."