Chapter Forty Four: Coffee.

Samantha

I couldn't sleep. I laid awake in bed all night, staring up at the ceiling, a million questions running through my mind. Excitement coursed through me, filling me up, so much to the point that I didn't know what to do with myself.

I couldn't stop smiling. In all honesty, I don't think I've felt this happy in a long while.

How is she going to be?

Will she be surprised?

Was she searching for me, too?

Has she changed?

But then my smiled dimmed a bit.

What if she has a girlfriend? Or a wife?

Do I even look good anymore?

I looked down at myself. I'd gotten chubbier over the years. I groaned.

Maybe I should work out before I see her.

But that time's better spent finding her and visiting her, isn't it?

And I was back to smiling again.

I'll just wear something good instead, I decided.

Morning came sooner than I could fathom. I immediately got up, freshened up and wrote a note on the dinner table for Alex, letting him know that I was going out to "hang with friends".

He doesn't have to know.

And then came the hardest part.

Clothes.

I stared at my closet, thinking deeply. I need something perfect. Something casual, but charming.

Eventually, after an hour of trying things on, I picked out a green dress and paired it with neon green heels and red lipstick. I opened out my hear and moisturized my skin. I let out my long, brown hair.

I realized that I hadn't put this much effort into myself in a while. I threw on an olive coat, grabbed my matching green handbag and made my way out.

"Goodmorning," I said, smiling at the doorman on my way out.

"Somebody's feeling unusually bright," he replied.

I called a taxi to take me to her place, which I'd found out through the Internet. I'd stopped myself from searching up pictures of her. I wanted to see for myself.

I was twiddling with my fingers, trying to imagine how our first encounter in years would be like.

I fiddled with the wedding ring on my left ring finger.

What if she has a wife?

I groaned internally.

I should've searched that up.

God, I'm such an idiot.

"We're here," said the man, bringing the taxi to a stop in front of the mansion.

"Wait a few minutes, will you?"

He lazily nodded and parked the car on the side.

I got out and jogged into the premises, making my way to the door, my heels clicking against the marble stairs at the entrance.

I immediately rang the bell. And then I waited. And waited. And waited.

And then I looked back to see if the taxi had abandoned me.