Chapter Forty One: Don't Apologize.

Samantha

I walked back home with Ivy. We were talking about different types of lenses for different types of photos and I was a little too immersed. So much that I forgot that I abandoned Harley at lunch.

I suddenly stopped walking.

It was around night time now.

"Oh no," I said.

"Hm? What happened?" she asked, looking back at me.

"I forgot to sit with Harley at lunch."

"Ah," she said, laughing.

"That's not funny," I said.

"You guys are seventeen. I'm sure it's fine."

I rolled my eyes.

"I hope I haven't upset her, though," I mumbled.

"Is she the type to get upset?"

I started walking again.

"She's the type to not let me know if she is."

"Ah. One of those."

"Yeah."

"What does she wanna do later?"

"Business."

"Interesting," she replied, not sounding all that interested.

"She said she wants to run a firm."

"And what do you want to do?"

"Photo-journalism."

"Oof."

"What?" I said, chuckling at her response.

"It's just, you guys are so different."

"I like that, to be honest," I said.

"Wouldn't it be cooler if you guys worked together?"

"I guess. But think about it this way. If we have different jobs, we get to meet each other and share unique stories rather than discussing the same one together. Isn't that more fun?"

"I guess."

We neared my house.

"Thanks for walking me, by the way."

"Anytime," she replied. She suddenly moved towards me and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I paused. And so did she. And then we were just staring at each other. She locked eyes with me, her expression strange yet curious.

It lasted for briefly a few seconds before she moved away, awakening from her weird trance.

"Yeah," she said stiffly. "See you later."

I nodded. But before she could turn around to leave, heavy footsteps could be heard coming towards us. Running. The noise got louder and I turned to see a panicked Harley running towards us.

I watched, eyes widened, as she threw her arms around me and sobbed into my shoulder. She had dirt on her clothes, and. . . blood? Something red. Something I couldn't quite make out in the dark.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her against me, pressing a kiss to her tear-stained cheek.

"What the fuck happened?" I breathed out.

She started crying harder.

"N-norah," she whispered through short breaths.

"Norah?" I whispered into her ear. "Tell me after we get you cleaned up, yeah?"