Chapter 24

"Ah, I merely plucked it for myself", Scarlet lied.

Neville and Zuber tried not to show any reaction.

"I see", Collins wasn't convinced, and Scarlet was aware of that. "How lady-like".

"Oh my, General, you should extend that compliment to Professor Lumber. He might feel flattered to be compared to a strong lady", said Scarlet, countering the intended meaning of his words.

Sensing the unease Scarlet felt, Fina pouted behind. Scarlet's eyes shifted to Fina and so did Collins.

"My apologies, Princess", his hypocrisy dripped in every word he uttered, "I've admired the suggestions you came up just now at the Warrior Circle and the way you presented yourself. You are growing into a fine ruler", he smiled.

Fina replied with the same verve, "My, I appreciate your encouragement, General Collins. You, yourrself and Scholar Frederick were very profound too".

"Ah, speaking of my son", Collins stepped aside, "Since he just returned from his long studies, I have a humble request Your Majesty—"

"Father—" Frederick started to step forward. He should've known where he was heading for this.

Scarlet's eyes met his and he averted from her gaze. He disliked being seen this way.

"May he join you as company for dinner, later on?"

The other suitors were listening.

"Ah, I don't see the problem at all. The more the merrier", and Fina smiled genuinely at Frederick which Frederick nodded his head slightly. His face was growing red.

"I could've asked myself, Father", he managed a scowl at his own harsh father. But Collins wasn't listening.

"You're so generous, Princess. I'm delighted to know he would have someone near his age to dine with tonight", Frederick controlled from hiding his face.

Fina may not be keen on General Collins but his son. She wondered. Despites knowing Scarlet and him trained with Collins, Scarlet rarely talked about him. But she noticed the little exchanges. And the red flower.

She remembered too when Scarlet thought she was the one who gifted to her a flower when she became Captain. She gifted Scarlet extravagant things than this simple flower. It could not be from him, but she could not find any reason to think otherwise as well. And besides, maybe she could find out where his morals align. Where his true loyalty lied with.

Collins excused himself first, leaving his son in the presence of a Captain and her Officer, a Princess and five suitors. But he still managed a knowing look at Scarlet, which made Scarlet shuddered at times. But Scarlet managed a salute and steel her glare as they parted.

She would not yield.

"Well then, Scarlet why don't you join as well for dinner?"

"Huh?" Scarlet simply responded to her close friend in this manner.

It was a sight to behold.

"I have a lot of reports to read and sign—"

"It could've been done earlier if you weren't distracted and left me and Sir Homes during tea just now, couldn't it?" Fina beamed but Scarlet knew she was being stabbed by her friend's sharp and poise words.

"My apologies—"

The rest of the young men witnessing these two ladies were dumbfounded. The Captain was so different in front of the Princess and towards them.

They knew they were close, but this was surreal.

"Well then, why don't we all have dinner together later?" Fina announced in the area. She even turned to the three suitors nearby.