Chapter 33

WARNING: BLOODY SCENE

Scarlet looked on as Dylan stood before her. They were in Scarlet's office. The Prince standing in front of her desk.

The high noon bright, warm to the point of being prickly to Scarlet's scars. Sunshine was usually a sign of good things. A good day ahead, good weather for business and children playing. And definitely it seemed a good day to carry out a war. Funny, how nature's chaos would only imbued men to be peaceful – a horrible flood or the ill plague would always halt the battle. And for once, humans could actually choose to not go to war. But the moment the clouds cleared and the sun appeared, it seemed everyone lifted up their weapons and charged to war once again.

"Well?"

When Scarlet paid Martha a visit to the castle's infirmary, and heard the ridiculous claim. A claim that could almost be proclamation, this foolish Prince was lucky he only uttered such things to a castle maidservant. And Martha was very sweet, claiming his words might be muddled from catching something from her. As if injury was a sickness you could contract from others.

"I don't want the crown", not a good start from the Prince. Especially when it ticked further Scarlet's temper.

"And I don't want to be hearing such things from a spoiled princeling". Scarlet shifted her scattered workpapers on the desk into a neat stack.

And Dylan realised his words, his resolve was not getting through the Scar Captain, "Is there no way out of this?" There was desperation in his voice. "My younger brother is a better fi—"

But Scarlet snarled instead, "This is your way out of this! Be rid of your Mother and raise to Kinghood".

Dylan lowered his head, ashamed. "I don't deserve this".

Scarlet snorted, "The crown or the treatment? I'd say you have every blessing and backing to warrant such need". And before letting Dylan continued his speech of his incompetency or to Scarlet's ears were just excuses, she continued, "Very well, why not be the Princess's trophy war?"

Scarlet didn't miss it. He made a look of disgust.

"Oh, you think it's unrefined", she scoffed, "Have you looked in the mirror? You are a damn heir but you're so foolish, getting drunk and racking up debt, and what, even if you manage to attract various women into your chamber, you could never keep them as your harem, even trying to tie them down to marriage, you didn't bother or they tire of you, am I correct? You are inadequate in everything".

His face grew heated with shame and fury, the invisible slap of her catching the truth.

He was truly inept. No man of honour, no chivalry and definitely not worthy as heir.

He was just going through the motions.

"I just don't want people like Martha to get hurt".

Scarlet raised her brow upon hearing that. It was suspicious at first how he easily warmed up to Martha. Sure, he was deplorable as a gentleman towards maidens, almost back warded his approach and arrogance. But then they all could be due to his Mother's teaching. So when the instance Scarlet or the Lady Companions or even her officers spotted him with Martha, it was very peculiar. And when they kept an eye on Martha from afar, it roused no alarm in their heads until, well, the unfortunate event, last night. But as Scarlet looked back, there might be another reason he was close to her.

"Prince Dylan", and it had been awhile Scarlet addressed him this way. Proper. "It's not you. It's your Mother that's hurting people like Martha", her voice remained firm but there was a hint of gentleness, or as much she could muster. Trying to heed Fina's approach in using the softer way was still not something she was keen to use on the Princeling in front of her.