Chapter 15

Lucas had changed into a spare white shirt and a pair of black pants. Now, he was outside a small tent waiting for Prince Neville.

When he emerged, he had changed into a loose white tunic with a pair of dark brown pants to match and his soaked boots were replaced with slippers.

Lucas bowed a bit and without a word, they set off to meet up with the rest of the unit.

All the while, Neville was very quiet throughout the walk.

His mind went back to the time he was still five. He remembered, someone had pushed him into an icy lake and he drowned. He was saved but till today, he was not sure who was the perpetrator.

He could still feel the coldness piercing him, the cold water invading his system and the numbness enveloping him, encasing him. He almost welcomed the cold oblivion until his guards saved him.

He had been trained to defend himself and being protected as well as an added measure. But he could still never muster the courage to go into water. Into sea, into river or a small lake even, he avoided it.

That was until today. And it seemed Scarlet was trying to find his weakness. He clenched his fist. He was starting to feel remorse for being treated in this manner.

She held this information about him. And if she tipped off to an enemy, he would be done for.

Very well, thought Neville. This would not change anything. He would still try to be in good terms with Captain Scarlet and win the Princess's heart as well.

And he started to take determined steps ahead.

"Um, Prince Neville"

The Prince halted.

"It's this way..."

Oh. Neville released a fake cough, "Lead the way, Officer Lucas".

When they reached the place, they saw mats had been laid out and various food were placed, men sitting and laughing with drinks in their hands. They noticed at the other corner where smokes were coming from the men roasting fishes and fruits and plants.

It was a big picnic. And it felt that.

Unsure where to sit, they could only think of going to where Scarlet and the other suitors were. Fortunately, the suitors noticed the two of them and made space for them to sit. James and Jackel also seemed to had recover from their exhaustion and were perked up from the food.

Officer Mason, who had bigger built and seemed terrifying, the man who had shown Lucas to his room last night, offered them food as they settled down.

Even Dylan was quietly eating in appreciation.

But as Neville and Lucas slowly accepted the others' offers of food, their eyes were darting around looking for Scarlet. And then Neville noticed.

"Where's Zuber and Captain Scarlet?" he asked.

"The Captain said she was trying to find some wild berries", said Mason. "Prince Zuber...probably in the bushes taking care of business".

That made Lucas almost choked. Can they as Officers say such things about these royalties?

"I see..." said Neville but he knew Mason was not telling the truth. But he did not press further. Seeing James and Jackel collapsed. And then himself drowned. Well, it could be another round for Scarlet to extract weakness from them. And this time, it was Zuber.

Scarlet walked into a secluded area of the woods, not far from the camp but enough for the rambunctious noise to not reach here.

She took her leisurely steps and was aware of another presence stalking not far behind her.