Chapter 30

Scarlet covered her mouth; a big yawn overcame her.

She couldn't control it.

It was a quarter to 9 in the morning in this mock court room, located in the Institute. And she only got to sleep when night eventually spilled over to the early morning, around three o'clock.

She had taken a seat at the very back corner.

Aspiring Scholars slowly filed into this room. The session was mostly attended by those in blue robe wearers.

She finally noticed a few people in common clothing.

Today the mock court trial was opened to the public.

Even Scarlet herself wore a long plain black coat over her basic dark green uniform, to not draw attention. She even combed her distinct grey-black haired to the right side of her face.

Then, without her notice, another person plopped on her side.

How could she not notice?

The person besides her, in common clothing too, except with a hat on, she lifted her veiled hat and revealed—

Scarlet managed a harsh whisper, "Fina!"

No wonder.

"You made it", Scarlet composed herself, and leaned back.

"Well, looks like I'm still not rusty on these things", Fina smiled cheekily.

Scarlet only shook her head at the Princess, her dear friend and her future Queen.

She managed a glance at her friend's attempt to disguise herself as commoner.

Her colour was anything but common, it could pass off as a noble lady, soft brown and yellow in contrast with her all black.

But that would do.

Scarlet was reminded her session with Fina, last night.

After her training with her men and the suitors in the evening, she had a short dinner break and went to the Warrior Study's underground dueling arena, the Fighting Circle.

The Fighting Circle had a simple cauldron dip leading towards the dueling space, spectator seats surrounding the base.

Often, the Fighting Circle was made for matches to assess the progression and promotion of the warriors.

Captains, Assistant Generals and Generals all gathered to give their judgment and assessment on potential change of ranks between Warriors.

The higher the rank, the higher the scrutinization were, and for those to be offered to General, the King would often join in the session.

But more importantly, another assessment was done at the Fighting Circle.

It was the place where all the higher Warriors would duel with the current Ruler...and future Ruler, a training ground for the current and future Supreme Commander of the SIlverstorm's Royal Warrior Army.

And on designated nights, Scarlet attended them as well as Fina – the few times where their schedules matched in their growing hectic lives.

When she remembered Fina's swift, gallant and dangerous movement, she felt her inadequacy.

She wasn't the only one.

When she reached the Circle, she already saw other Captains had fallen, panting on the ground.

And without catching her breath, she unsheathed her blade and joined into spar with her friend.

Lance and Scarlet were one of the few Captains to still stand clashing blades with Fina.