3: Potius

In the beginning, Grain's reasoning behind sharing an apartment with Mumbo was purely for convince, now he had... other reasons. At first it was because he could get to work quicker, it would cost less for rent, and he could walk instead of taking the filthy public tram. Now- However- Grian could not stop staring at the way Mumbo's back flexed under his skin-tight white tee-shirt as he worked on another mechanical malfunction for a customer. 

   "Hey, Gri?" Mumbo's deep voice startled him from his staring, jumping slightly from his position on the brown love-seat. (Which was Mumbo's doing, might i add.) 

   Wiping his sweaty palms off on his sleeping trousers, Grian cleared his throat softly. "Y-Yeah Mumbo?" He stuttered, cursing himself for being so painfully obvious. 

   "Could you hand me the wire strippers from my tools box? It should be beside the couch to your right, the big red plier looking things." He mentioned, not looking at Grian as he continued moving wires and fixing screw placements. "What did these people do?" He spoke to himself, running his hand though his dark raven hair.   

    Smiling to himself, Grian leaned over the arm of the sofa, reaching for Mumbo's heavy red tool box. "Goodness Mumbo! What is in here?" He groaned, deciding to carry the entire thing over to Mumbo instead of just grabbing the wire strippers. Dropping the metal box beside Mumbo's work chair, Grian kneeled over it. Opening the box and rummaging through the various tools. 

    Glancing down at the older boy, Mumbo smiled to himself as Grian looked for the right tool, clearly brushing over it multiple times. "What colour is it again, Mumbo?" He groaned, siting back on his heels to meet the taller man's eyes.

   "Red handles, dear." Mumbo responded, concealing a smile at Grian's flushed cheeks. 

   Rolling his eyes, Grian looked back into the box, growing more and more frustrated. Mumbo took mercy on the frustrated lad, reaching down and grabbing the strippers from the top of the box easily after placing a flat-head screw driver between his lips. 

    Pouting, Grian folded his arms over his sweater clad chest. The older man looked up at the smug tech, his bottom lip stuck out, his eyebrows furrowed, and his eyes seemed bigger. The look made Mumbo's heart melt, regardless, he wiggled the wire strippers in front of Grian.

   "Thank you, you're an absolute babe, Grian." He smiled cheekily, going back to tinkering after being satisfied at the dark tone of red on Grian's face. The shade putting his sweater to shame. 

    Standing from the floor, Grian stomped back to the sofa, squeezing himself as far in the corner as humanly possible, before burying his face in his hands. 'Mumbo Jumbo, you are insufferable!' He thought, squealing angrily into his sweater sleeves, promptly ignoring Mumbo's snickering from his desk. 

   ~~~~

    After a few hours of work, Mumbo was finally done fixing the device. Wiping the back of his hand across his forehead dramatically, he squinted to the clock on their stove. The bright green lights shone 2:47 am. The time made him groan, pinching the bridge of his nose, before standing to get ready for bed. 

    Cleaning his work station, shutting off lights, and locking the flat's front door, Mumbo began making his way to his room. He wasn't even able to make it down the hall before he stopped. Staring at the small ball laying in the center of the sofa. 

    Shaking his head with a soft smile, Mumbo walked about the side of the couch. He brushed his hand through the boys soft, slightly curly, locks. His hands were soft and careful, fingers carding between the strands easily. Mumbo's eyes shifted over the sleeping boys face, mentally noting each freckled littered over the bridge of his nose and sprinkled on his cheeks, down his neck. The small dots making constellations on his porcelain skin, his face a never ending galaxy of wonder and unknown terrain.