Triangle

Thank you to TeresSuejijifiji, and fateclaws for commenting and voting on the previous chapter!

Bard patted Albert on the shoulder. "Keep a good eye on the night."

The man straightened his robe. "Have no worry, sire. Nothing gets past me."

Bard's eyes expressed his doubt, but he left Albert, willing to give him a chance. Albert settled down on the ground, his back to the stone, grumbling, "Night watch indeed!"

The next morning Bard found him asleep. Albert awoke with a jump as Bard nudged him with his toe, scrambling to his feet. He smirked and leaned a hand against the wall. "All quiet in the night, sire. Nothing passed me."

Bard's eyes bored through him as he brushed past and stood at the top of the stair leading to the lower levels of Dale. "Nothing but an army of elves, it would seem."

Albert gawked. He glanced at Bard as the man hesitated before scurrying into the shadows.

Bard looked down at the rows of elves below him, armored in silver and green. Their plumes and flags blew on the early morning breeze. He was daunted by the sheer number of them; he could not look without seeing an elf. He inched down the steps, unsure how to pass the elves, but they stood aside for him and Bard plunged down a tunnel with its walls made of glistening breastplates. He stepped past the last elf and faced the narrow road leading up from the valley below as he heard the grind of wagon wheels.

Two horses strained to drag a cart laden with food over the last rise. As they reached their goal, the elf seated atop the cart let the reins fall into his lap. As Bard gaped, a flash of brown trotted past him. He looked up to see the moose, its resplendent head held high despite a rack of horns. Its rider looked down.

Though he had not seen him, Bard suspected he stared into the eyes of King Thranduil of Mirkwood.

"I heard you were in need of aid," Thranduil said. He slid to the ground and his mount, devoid of saddle or bridle, retreated the way it had come.

As Bard began to reply, people surged past him, scrambling for the wagons. He stumbled out of the crowd, smiling at the joyous shouts as a line fell into place to carry the food to the cooking fires.

"Why are you here?" Bard asked, finding Thranduil beside him.

Thranduil quirked an eyebrow. "I see it in your eyes. You think I want the gold."

Bard coughed. "It had occurred to me."

"I am here to offer my strength against the malice of greed and also to be a father. I have sons, you know."

"Brenen and Realn," Bard recalled.

Thranduil smiled. "Yes."

"You will find them in Erebor; they retreated with Thorin after Smaug fell."

"Indeed, and I hear it was the Master who finished the beast," Thranduil remarked. "I bow to you, Master Bard."

"It is not an easy task," Bard muttered.

"Leadership is not an easy task," Thranduil said. "Though some crave it."

Bard wondered who the elf king had in mind as he saw Thranduil's eyes dim. Blinking, the elf nodded and walked away, the tidal wave of men parting at his approach as if by magic.

Why can they not do that for me? Bard wondered wistfully.

OoOoO

Thorin stood many feet above the ground on the catwalk and watched the group of rider's approach in a cloud of dust from the road to Dale. The thick fur around his shoulders warmed the inside of his cold metal shell.

The riders stopped a few yards from the base of the Mountain, their path cut off by the broken stone that had once bridged the river flowing directly ahead.

Thorin leaned down to peer at Thranduil, scowling as the elf eyed up his defenses. He folded his arms. "Well, elf king, you missed the action. What have you come for now? Not one piece of my gold goes to you. Not one! Do you hear?"

"I am blessed not to be deaf," Thranduil replied. He smirked. "What makes you think I desire your wealth when I have my own? The people of Dale are not so fortunate as you and I."

"So Bard brought you along to strengthen his argument," Thorin mused.

"There is no argument unless you make one," Thranduil said.

"You set free the dragon," Bard said. "Laketown's ruin rests with you. You owe us at least the wealth of our ancestors so we may make a new home."

"I owe you nothing!" Thorin spat. "But what gold Smaug took from Dale I will return to you. Not a coin more!"

"That suits me fine," Bard said.

Thorin glared at the last rider. "Ah, Gandalf. Decided to show face, after all. A moment too late, of course."

"Where is my burglar?" the wizard demanded.

Bilbo peeked from the battlements, standing on his tiptoes. "Oh, Gandalf, I am thrilled to see you!"

"And I you, little hobbit. You have earned much admiration."

Thranduil shot him a glance at that but Gandalf's eyes were twinkling.

"How ever did you manage to sneak around Mirkwood so well?" Gandalf asked.

"It was not easy," Bilbo said, shifting.

"Several ideas occurred to me," Thranduil said.

Gandalf looked at Thorin with a thoughtful expression, searching for the craze he had seen in his father's eyes. He suggested, "I take it, Thorin, you have found the Arkenstone?"

"Ooh, Gandalf, now you have done it!" Bilbo squeaked.

Thorin exploded, "Found the Arkenstone, upon my bloody foot! Your foolish burglar mistook it, yes mistook it, for a common rock and threw it into Smaug's mouth. The heart of the Mountain is gone and Smaug along with it! You take your precious little hobbit and never let me see him again!"

Bilbo was scrambling down a rope to the safety of the shadow of Gandalf's horse before Thorin could draw in a breath.

"I always said he would be the end of us," Thorin growled.

Thranduil said, "Whilst Gandalf takes his hobbit, I should very much like to see my sons."

"I suppose you will have to," Thorin grumbled. He snapped, "Fili, tell those two mirror faces their father is here to see them. As for the rest of you, load Bard's gold."

He gestured to Thranduil. "Dying to catch a glimpse of my hoard? I may possibly like Brenen so you may come up. But just this once!"

He grimaced at Thranduil's bow before the elf king alighted before him, smoke wafting from his knuckles. Thorin gestured to a dwarf, "Dwalin will escort you to your sons."

Thranduil bowed his thanks before he plunged into the Mountain. Thorin leaned his cheek against his palm and sighed. "Bullied from all sides. What is Erebor coming to?"

Perhaps the loss of the Arkenstone is a good thing?

Thank you all so much for reading; your amazing thoughts and observations always make me smile.

Next Chapter: Raileen faces Sauron.