Chapter 57

Emily

Bloom texted me asking me if everything with Everett was alright that night.

I replied with a yes, and why?

She sent me a video of Everett in a party and he seemed drunk and was with another woman. She was on his lap and they were kissing.

I felt numb and nauseous. I thought we were doing good. I thought things was going to go fine, and the person whom I confessed to for the first time in my life, betrayed me.

I didn't know what to say to her and didn't know how to react at the same time. I was exhausted from everything that was happening around me.

I turned off my phone and went to bed. I tossed and turned on the bed and then finally broke down. I should have seen that coming, but I guess I was in denial.

The next morning, I went for a walk in the neighbourhood to freshen my mind. I sat down on the park's bench and looked at the people walking their dogs. My phone rang and it was Everett.

I was planning to decline his call, but that would mean we're dragging what's broken and it's better we get this over with quickly.

"Em." His voice was husky and nervous.

"Yea." I said as I looked no where in particular. I didn't sleep well last night, I was exhausted.

"Can we meet, now?" He asked.

"I'm in my neighbourhood's park." I said.

"I'll be there." He said.

He showed up in twenty minutes. He was wearing the same outfit that I saw in the video and it made me feel uneasy. He sat down beside me.

We sat there quietly for sometime. None of us saying anything.

"Let's get this over with." I said nodding my head like I was explaining to myself.

He looked at me with confusion.

"Let's break up." I said with an impassive voice.

His eyes widened in surprise.

"Em." He said.

I shake my head. "That's what you're here for and me too." I said with a small smile. "That's why I didn't want a relationship. It gets messy."

"But Em." He said.

"I saw your video from last night." I said to him.

"What video from last night?" He asked.

"You and some woman on your lap. If you thought I wouldn't know about that. I'm sorry to say, I know about that." I said.

"Em, let me explain." He said.

"I don't need any explanation, Everett. You had a week to explain to me what was bothering you. You made excuses and kept running away." I shrugged. "All I wanted was to tell you how I felt. I thought this was how we worked? Tell each other how we felt." I shake my head and stood up. "But it's fine." I smiled.

"Emily." He said. "I made a mistake."

"We all do." I said to him. "We're over Everett and I'm sure you knew that, you saw that coming. It's just for me to say out loud, so I accept it happened this way." I took a step back from him when he tried stepping close to me.

He give me a painful expression. "I didn't understand why you would love me?" He asked me.

"There's so much to love about you, Everett. You're kind, you're nice, you're smart, you're loving. The lists is endless and It just happened and I'm sorry you feel burdened because I love you." I said.