Chapter 17

Emily

People give me curious glances through out the day, and some of them came forward to help me, which was very nice of them. They carried my books or bags even though I said I can manage.

They asked me about my accident and I just told them very briefly about it.

I missed lots of classes, and had to get notes from my classmates, who happily provided me.

Aaliyah was standing beside me when the bell rang for lunch. I was trying to put my stuff back in the locker with her help.

She was talking, but all of a sudden she stopped, and I turned to look at her. I saw Everett standing beside her, and he was looking at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked sounding concerned.

We didn't spoke after our talk in his car, which was few weeks back.

"Yes." I said giving him a small smile. Sometime, we bumped into each other. I still give him a smile, but he always had an impassive face. I went back to putting my things back in my locker.

I was expecting him to leave, but he just stood there.

"How did you get hurt?" He asked.

"Just a small accident." I said as I took out my lunch bag and shut the locker. "See you around."

Aaliyah and I both left to meet Bloom on the staircase for lunch.

"What do you think of this dress?" Bloom asked as she scrolled through her phone to do some online shopping.

"Since you're free on weekends, we should hang out." Aaliyah said to me.

"I can hang out on Sunday." I tell them. "I have plans on Saturday."

"With who?" They both squealed. "Is it a date?"

"No." I said laughing. "It's not a date."

I told them that I was going to Charlie Puth's concert and they both squealed.

"Do you have an outfit for your date?" Bloom asked.

"I keep telling you guys, it's not a date." I rolled my eyes.

"Who's going on a date?" We heard Evan and I see him near the stairs. He was casually leaning on the wall.

"Evan." I squealed a little as I stood up. "I haven't seen you in like forever."

"Look at you, Em." He said and I ran to give him a hug.

"I would have spun you around, but too bad you have a splint." He said. "How did that happen?"

"Just a little accident." I said.

"I see you have bandaid on your forehead as well. Seem pretty bad."

"No." I shrugged it off. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

"I heard about your little accident and came to check on you." He tapped my nose, gently. "You seem fine."

"I am." I assured him. "Are you joining us for lunch, today?" I asked.

"Sure."

Evan and I had a class together after lunch, so he held my bag and things, even though I told him I didn't need his help. He give me a stern look and told me he wanted to help.

"I was going to ask you for notes." I said as we made our way to the classroom.

"Too bad." He shrugged. "I was not here and plus, I don't do notes." And laughed a little.

We passed Everett and London and I give both of them a friendly smile while Evan didn't bother to say hello to any of them.

"Did you two fight?" I whispered. I was expecting them to greet each other.

"No." He said ruffling my hair a little. "Just because we didn't talk that doesn't mean we had a fight."

"Don't touch my hair." I swat his hand, gently. "It took me forever to brush my hair with an injured elbow."

He laughed as he put his arm on my shoulder and bumped the side of his head gently on mine.

"You're adorable, Em." He said.

"Are you teasing me?" I asked giving him a playful glare.

"I wouldn't dare to." He laughed as we walked inside the classroom.

When the school ended, I was in a rush to get to the bus stop to meet Aaliyah and Bloom, but it's difficult when I have a splint on one arm.

"Do you need help?" I didn't expect Everett to offer me some help.

"I'm good." I said as I struggled to put on my jacket.

He was about to reach out to help me, but Evan stepped between us and fixed my jacket for me and I give him an appreciative smile. He gently tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Bloom and Aaliyah is waiting in the parking lot. I will drive you guys, home." Evan said to me.

"We can go home on our own." I said.

"Don't even bother." He said rolling his eyes and turned around. "Oh.. I'm sorry, I didn't see you."

I can sense hostility between them, but I can't be sure about it. They have been best-friends for like forever, but I can't say anything about their friendship because look at mine. We're no longer friends.

"It's fine." Everett said. "I thought she needed some help."

"You should worry about your girlfriend." Evan said and turned towards me. "Let's go."

"Thanks Everett." I said politely as Evan grabbed my hand and led me out of the door.

The cold air greeted us and Evan wrapped his arm around me. "You must be cold." He said to me as he looked at my arm that was sticking out of my jacket as I had sling on for the splint.

"I'm fine." I said to him.

Aaliyah and Bloom was inside his Porsche sedan, the car was warm. Evan opened the door for me and helped me put on my seat-belt.

Evan always smelled of eucalyptus and cologne. His face was closed to mine as he helped me with the seat belt. Once, he was sure I was comfortable. He shut the door and jog to the driver's side and shut the door.

"Is everyone warm?" He asked and looked at all of us.

"Yes." We all said together. He then checked the mirror and then the sides before pulling out of the parking lot. His car smelled citrusy.

It reminded me of Everett and how he always smell minty and of Everett, but I shake that thought from my head. It won't be happening again. It was in the past.

"Should we do a little carpool karaoke?" He asked and we all agreed with enthusiasm as he turned on the radio.