Chapter 15 ~ Sophie POV

Depuis le début

"Still... thanks. I don't know how I could ever repay you. But... there's something wrong. I can feel it. What happened? One minute I had leaped to Paris looking for Sophie so I could help her find Keefe and the next minute... I'm here."

"What happened just before you blacked out?" Marinette asked. "Let me guess: were you angry?"

Fitz's eyes narrowed. "No, why would you assume that?"

Sophie transmitted to him, able to see through his lies.

You can trust me, Fitz. What happened?

His voice reluctantly filled her head.

Well.... you're going to think I'm stupid. Or jealous. Or both. But I saw you and Keefe together and... I don't know... I should've been happy. I found my friends, I found what I was looking for! But I wasn't. It was petty and selfish, and for what it's worth, I'm sorry.

Sophie's head buzzed with the raw truth in his words. But she wanted to make sure this didn't change anything, so she transmitted back.

Fitz... it's ok. It's not your fault you were akumatized. That's the Papillon's fault.

She could feel his mind relax as she transmitted it and she almost forgot that there were others around her until somebody cleared their throat rather loudly.

"Did I miss something from my memories? Because I don't seem to remember this." he gestured vaguely at Sophie and Fitz.

Sophie's cheeks burned. "You didn't miss anything. Fitz and I... we were together for a while, but that's behind us. We're just friends."

She had never put it all out there like that, and she was terrified of Fitz's reaction. So when he offered a nod and a smile, she was relieved out of her skin. She was glad she and Fitz could go back to the way things used to be.

Simple.

Simplicity was certainly something Sophie's life was lacking, so it was nice to have this one thing that was.

"Glad to hear that." Keefe waited until Fitz had turned away so his ice blue eyes could meet Sophie's. He offered a subtle wink and a smirk and Sophie tried against her will to stop her heart from stopping for a moment.

He was just teasing her.

"Well, we should get inside and get Fitz caught up on everything," Luka offered, changing the subject.

"Good idea, then I can take you two back home," Fitz offered, looking for something in the numerous pockets in his tunic.

After a few more minutes of searching, Fitz's face went pale.

"You guys didn't take my leaping crystal, did you?"

"No... why? Is it gone?"

Fitz paled even more. "That was our only contact home. There's no more crystals coming to or from Paris. Guys... this is bad."

"Can't you hail someone on your imparter?" Keefe asked.

"I... I left it at home. I honestly didn't think I'd need it. They can't get to us and we can't get to them. This is bad, bad, bad!" Fitz stood up to pace, running his hands through his hair.

"Hey, it'll be fine! We have Foster, and though I don't have my memories of her she seems like the kind of person who always has a plan!"

"Wait... did you say you don't remember Sophie?"

"Like we've said, there's a LOT to catch you up on," Sophie chimed in. "Let's go inside."

The five kids went inside Marinette's room and they all caught Fitz up on everything they needed to. He stayed quiet for most of the explanation. The only thing he asked at the end, of all things, was what caught Sophie off guard.

"So... Keefe? You're a superhero now? That's what the whole cat suit is for?" The question was so unexpected that they all couldn't help but crack up.

"I'm a superhero NOW? Oh please, you already knew I was a superhero without the cool suit!" Keefe flexed his biceps, which were pretty impressive, not that she'd ever tell him that.

Fitz scoffed. "Whatever you say."

Though she was grateful to the boys for lightening the mood, she had an important point on her mind that wouldn't go away.

"Guys... you know what all of this means?" Sophie waited until she had met everyone's eyes before continuing. "Fitz, Keefe and I are stuck here, so... that means we're a team now. Until we can find a way to get back to the Lost Cities, we're working with you. We'll get Keefe's final memories back, we'll take down the Papillon, look for the Neverseen, and whatever else we need to do while we're here."

"Well said, Foster!" Keefe said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Nobody seemed to have anything to say after that, but she could see the determination etched in each person's eyes, and she knew: they were going to win this. It would be hard, and they'd definitely struggle a lot, but nothing could stop them.

Eventually, Sophie Fitz and Keefe made their way back to Adrien's house and they set up separate mattresses for each of them to sleep on. Sophie didn't get much sleep that night, her mind buzzing with so many questions.

How would they ever get back home?

Could they defeat the Papillon?

How would they get rid of Keefe's mom without it breaking him?

And, there were some more selfish questions in the mix.

Why didn't Keefe remember her?

Would Keefe ever remember everything they went through?

Would things ever go back to the way they were?

With those thoughts on her mind, she ever so slowly drifted off into a restless sleep.