It's dangerous to be wandering out this late, for a kid like you

Then

Big green eyes staring from the shadows. The feeling of being watched from behind, but as you turn nothing is there. You're all alone but the feeling does not pass.

A figure in the bushes that speedily darts by. The cackling laughter of a child, but it's twisted and distorted.

Is it a ghost? A phantom? A figment of their imaginations?

Or is there truly something in lurking in the depths of the forest?

For two years the residents that reside in Musutafu have been on edge. And unease seeping into their bodies and lay at the bottom of their stomachs. Paranoia and rumors fly from one mouth to another.

"That place... I heard it's haunted."

"I heard giggling when went by! It was super creepy."

"Are you sure it wasn't just some lost kid?"

"You don't understand! Kids don't sound like that. Like they have static spitting from their voice. Like, like..."

"Like they're possessed?"

"Right!"

"So it was a ghost?"

Laughter.

"You're just hearing things, dude!"

"Hey! I'm telling you-"

"Actually... you know..." A hesitant voice interrupts, and the group of third year high schoolers pause and turn, four sets of eyes on the taller boy wearing a comfortable blue hoodie. "I had to go in there a few days ago- you know when it first snowed? Well my brother needed some chunks of wood for a project he's doing and sent me to fetch some, since my quirk keeps me warm. And I saw, well."

"Well what?" A girl with interchanging hair inquires, color going from blue to a curious pink.

"I saw paw tracks, except huge, y'know? A tree even had a large gash in it, it seemed pretty fresh too... I didn't really stick around much longer after I saw that, haha. Bro was rather mad at me for coming back empty handed."

"It was just a bear then, idiot." A short boy with yellow hair huffs. "All these ghost stories are bullshit."

"Bear don't live here, dumbass!" A snapped reply shoots back, red eyes glaring. "And bears certainly do not sound like that. I'm not making things up and I am certainly not hearing random creepy laughter in my head!"

"Why don't we just go find out on our own?"

"Huh?" The teenagers look to the last member in their group, a girl with bright yellow eyes that matches her small wings that flutter on her back.

"Listen- it's probably just some animal with a quirk that made them bigger, y'know? Just some oversized bunny or whatever. It's not too uncommon." Teeth flashing, she smiles. "So, let's find and get rid of it, if it's making people like Tanaka and Kimura nervous." She finishes with a smirk, ignoring said boys' indignant scoffs.

Kimura pouts slightly, "...I don't think rabbits can make noises like that either, but I'm not against getting rid of whatever it is."

Punching his shoulder, the pink haired girl, who is now turning a vibrant teal, speaks up. "Well we should be fine with all five of us." Smiling, she adds, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Those words flash through Kimura's head as he watches Tanaka's spine snap under massive, green paws. A sharp feral smile and natural bright green eyes that sends an icy wave of pure terror vibrating just under his skin.