Chapter Seventeen

Rainystripe was sitting once again in her nest, bored stiff. Shuffling her paws she watched the sun light the cold, dim sky. Fresh snow was piled around her, and she welcomed the sun’s warm beams. She was wondering where Sharpfang and Whitefur had gone when a heavy, white figure slipped into the entrance.

“Whitefur?”

The tom turned his startled gaze on his deputy. “Yes?”

“Where have you been?” Her words were no more than a fierce whisper.

Whitefur padded closer until he was just in front of Rainystripe. “I decided to spend the night in the forest,” He told her lamely.

“Yes.” Her tone was thoughtful. “But where is Sharpfang?”

Whitefur was shocked. “Sharpfang isn’t back? I thought he would be back by now!”

Rainystripe started. Sharpfang wasn’t with Whitefur?

“Where was the last place you saw him?” She questioned him sternly.

“In the forest, follow me.” His mew sounded tired, but Rainystripe didn’t care.

“Come on! Lets go!” She started to get to her paws but fell back as soon as her hackles were raised. Panting, she scowled. “Fox dung!” She spat. “You may go to your nest, Whitefur. But be ready to go when I call.”

Whitefur dipped is head and scurried to his nest, leaving Rainystripe to watch the sun once more. Sighing, she curled her tail over her nose and tried to sleep. I hope Sunstar remembers to organize the patrols…

                                                    ********

Rainystripe woke with a start. A paw was jabbing her side. Looking up, she saw Sunstar peering down at her.

“Good morning, Sunstar!” She meowed.

“Hello,” He spoke gravely. “Rainystripe. I have a feeling you know what I am about to say.”

Rainystripe nodded silently.

“I can’t go on organizing patrols for you. There are too many things that need to be dealt with.” He paused and continued in a lower voice. “You have to choose a temporary deputy. One to fill your place until you,” He glanced at her back. “better. I’ll give you until Sunhigh.”

Rainystripe nodded again and watched her weary friend pad slowly away. Names shot through her head like lightning. She imagined the whole clan yowling at her to make them deputy. Is this what its like to be leader? Rainystripe continued thinking. Spottedblaze? No, I don’t think many cats would take kindly to the idea of a former kittypet being deputy. Any kittypet besides me. Sharpfang? Hm. Maybe. Whitefur? No, not disciplined enough. Adderface is too violent. She thought of almost every cat in the clan before she forced herself to admit that Darkstorm would make a good deputy. Temporarily. Sharpfang or Darkstorm? The old question hit her like a blow. Will it always be this way? Sharpfang might not be back by Sunhigh. If he isn’t, then Darkstorm will be deputy. She nodded decisively. That was her choice. Suddenly a freezing wind whipped through the camp. Shivering uncontrollably, every warrior was padding away from their nests.

“Ashclaw! Poppywhisker! Adderface!” She yowled their names with a cloud of breath billowing in front of her face. The three cats trotted toward her, their ears pricked with curiosity. “I ne-”

“I hope you aren’t going to tell us to build that border tighter. It’s finished and couldn’t be more tight.” Adderface’s blunt statement had been expected.

“As I was saying. I want all of you to go gather as many brambles as you can find.” Rainystripe waved her tail for them to leave, but Ashclaw wavered. “What do you need brambles for? Adderface wasn’t lying when he said the barrier was finished.”

Rainystripe smiled mysteriously. “I know,” She invited no further conversation, and the patrol left with shrugs and tail tips twitching.

“Gingerthorn, Dotpelt, Bramblefoot, Jaylight!”

These cats came and stood questioningly before the rainy warrior.

“Go and find vines and saplings.” As soon as they were gone she yowled more names. “Patchheart! Blazewing! Rabbitnose!” The warriors were already standing beside her and awaiting orders with tipped heads and sideways glances. “I want you to go hunt. With Leafbare approaching, we can never be too low on fresh kill.”

The cats shot off and Rainystripe called Liontail and Larkear to her side. “Go tell Leafpool that you are to help her with anything she needs.”

The warriors sped off, leaving only Darkstorm, Spottedblaze and Whitefur in the clearing. Whitefur was fast asleep, Darkstorm was scraping his razor sharp claws on the huge tree that remained in the camp, and Spottedblaze was nibbling uncertainly on a cold, skinny vole. Darkstorm stopped shredding the tree and padded toward Rainystripe. “Well? What about us?”

Spottedblaze took one last bite of the vole, pushed it aside, and joined him. “Yes, what exactly are we to do while the rest of the camp is off on patrols?”

Rainystripe glanced to her left where a bowled-over honey-suckle bush stood. “I need you to reinforce that. It’s going to be a den.”

Her friends nodded, but Spottedblaze stopped to ask, “That is a good idea to have dens for Leafbare, but whose den is that to be?”

Rainystripe looked at the pretty calico with a glint of mirth in her eyes. “It’s going to be the nursery.”