Chapter Fourteen

Sharpfang saw Rainystripe just in time. He quickly swerved out of harm’s way, sending a spray of red leaves through the air.

“Rainystripe!” Sharpfang wailed.

Rainystripe was still seeing everything through the red mist of battle, she didn’t even notice the fear in Sharpfang’s eyes. Rainystripe’s claws were out and unsheathed, swinging wildly at her comrade. Sharpfang fought back with sheathed claws, only batting at her and ducking her blows. Sharpfang continues to scream at her, but no wail reached Rainystripe’s deaf ears. Suddenly Rainystripe’s claws were aimed right for Sharpfang’s unprotected neck. Time seemed to slow as Rainystripe watched her paw swing toward Sharpfang. Just before her claws pricked at his neck, a huge weight crashed into Rainystripe. Darkstorm had her pinned to the ground and was now screaming franticly.

“Rainystripe! Can you hear me? Rainystripe!” He shook her.

Gradually Rainystripe’s senses returned. She looked in horror at what she had been doing. The last thing she saw was Leafsong leaning over Sharpfang’s bleeding body.

Her eyelids peeked open to see brown, tabby paws skimming green earth. Then all went black again.

A stream of light entered Rainystripe’s blurred vision. A pair of ice-blue eyes stared lovingly down on her. I’m in the medicine cave… she thought fuzzily before drifting off again to the murky, black, waters of unconsciousness.

Rainystripe turned her head to the side. No bleeding figure. Sharpfang must be okay…

Dark clouds parted and Rainystripe’s head cleared. Her eyes fluttered open and she heard a warming voice.

“Rainystripe?”

As the world came into focus, Darkstorm’s head became clearer.

“Hey,” She hardly recognized the raspy voice as her own.

Darkstorm‘s icy eyes lit up. “Rainystripe!” 

“Is that all you can say?” Rainystripe laughed.

A huge, shaggy head nuzzled hers and warmth spread throughout her body.

“How long have I been out?”

“Five sunrises. How do you feel?”

“My head hurts. Who has organized all the patrols?” Rainystripe struggled to get up, but instantly dropped down as an agonizing pain coursed through her side and skull.

“Easy, Rainystripe. Sunstar did. I’m going to get Leafsong. Stay still.”

“Wait!” Rainystripe paused as Darkstorm stopped. “Where is Sharpfang?”

Darkstorm stiffened but coughed out the words. “He has been through quite a scare. Leafsong has been giving him Thyme, he should be fine.”

Darkstorm returned with Leafsong. She proceeded to prod Rainystripe, each prod with little reaction.

“Ow!” Rainystripe yowled as Leafsong poked her lower back. “That hurt!”

Darkstorm was instantly at her side, showing a side of him no cat had seen before. Leafsong seemed stung by the words and shrank to the side of the cave. Leafsong carefully got to her feet and motioned Darkstorm to follow her. She led him out the cave entrance, tossing a suggestion over her shoulder.

“You might want to rest. Get your strength up! But don’t move from that nest!”

                                                ***********

“What is it?” Darkstorm demanded as soon as they had left the cave.

Leafsong let her paws skim the earth, heading for the entrance to camp. “What we say might be better out of camp.”

Darkstorm stiffened uncertainly. What? Rainystripe is okay, right? All the same, he followed her without question into the woods. They padded silently until, finally, Leafsong stopped.

“Rainystripe isn’t okay.”

Darkstorm shifted his paws uneasily. “She isn’t?”

“No.” Leafsong’s eyes grew misty. “I knew a cat once. Her owners had kicked her, and she had back pains. After that, she had shied away from her nofurs and hadn’t let them take her to the vet. Her pains increased until her back legs stopped working. I think it was due to the kick her nofurs gave her.”

“Are you saying I did this to her?” Darkstorm wailed.

Leafsong blinked.

“Isn’t there anything we can do?” Darkstorm sounded desperate now.

“Nothing is certain. I will ask Starclan, and study hard on my herbs, maybe one will be of some use. Until then, you may not tell Rainystripe any of this.”

“What? Why not tell her? Her deputyship could be at stake here! Her whole happiness as a clan cat!”

“Darkstorm. Not a word.” Leafsong sounded confidant.

Darkstorm sullenly agreed. The medicine cat turned and disappeared in the brush, her white form slowly fading. Thoughts raced through Darkstorm’s head like mosquitoes, buzzing and annoying. What will happen to her? If she is unable to move her back legs, how will she fight, hunt? Will she still be able to be deputy? Can she still have kits? This last question came uninvited. Why had he thought of that? Darkstorm shook his head. This is all too confusing.