Chapter Eleven

Rainystripe whirled around. A gray she-cat stood there, watching her with steel eyes.

“Robinsong!” Rainystripe howled. “Look what those things are doing!”

Robinsong nodded briefly and said, “It is not what they are doing. It is what they will do.”

Rainystripe awoke in a haze of nausea. Will Pineclan be destroyed yet again? She flicked off moss that stuck to her pelt and marched distractedly to Leafpool’s den. Looking into the herb cave, she saw the Medicine Cat checking her supply of leaves. 

“Hello, Rainystripe. What brings you?” Leafpool asked nonchalantly.

Rainystripe fell to the floor in a huff on the floor, ready to pour out her dream.

“I had a dream last night, and well… I’m not sure what it means.” Rainystripe knew she was holding back from her old friend, but knew not the reason. Leafpool finished stacking her herbs and sat down next to Rainystripe, letting their pelts brush. “What troubles you?”

Sighing, Rainystripe let go of her tale and, once she was finished, held her breath for the Medicine Cat’s reply. After a few moments, Leafpool stood, shaking her pelt. “I have no idea what your dream means, Rainystripe. But, I think it has to be some sort of future. Maybe Pineclan will soon be attacked, and Robinsong came to warn you. More likely, though, Pineclan is in danger, not soon to be attacked, but later, when you don’t expect it. Because you said it looked as if you were leader, and had kits and a mate. To do that takes time.”

Rainystripe lay there, lost in thought. “That makes sense, but when? I’m loosing my nerve!”

Leafpool’s eyes clouded. “You have had dreams before, Rainystripe, why does this one bother you so much? But, if you want, I can give you some Thyme to calm you nerves.”

Rainystripe smiled and shook her head. “No, that will not be necessary. Whoever taught you your medicines sure did a good job.”

Leafpool stood and exited the cave. “Not taught.” her voice echoed through the cavern. “Is teaching.”

Rainystripe padded out of Leafpool’s den, nearly bumping into Darkstorm.

“S-sorry!” Rainystripe blushed, embarrassed.

“No, my fault.” He whipped his tail back and forth questioningly. “Do you know where Leafpool is? I think I got a thorn stuck in my pad.”

Rainystripe smiled. “We all make mistakes. I think she is in the sick cat chamber.”

Darkstorm thanked her and stepped into the Medicine Den. As he padded away, Rainystripe’s dream rushed back on her like a flood. Her paws felt like tree stumps as she made her way to her nest. As she lay down, she knew that no matter how worn she felt, she could never go to sleep. Closing her eyes, she let her mind dwell on her future mate. Why was he blurred? He was tall, dark… Many cats look like that, Sharpfang, Darkstorm, and many others that I don’t really know.

What was Robinsong trying to tell her? The whole thing befuddled her; making her feel like a complete fool. Thoughts bounced back and forth in her brain as she felt a paw touch her shoulder. Startled, she looked up into two big, brown eyes.

“Hello, Spottedblaze,” Rainystripe sighed.

“Rainystripe, um… I was wondering if you would like to see those rock formations I told you about.” The calico she-cat chose her words carefully, then added, “I could also show you the big bramble patches we found,”

Rainystripe smiled weakly, thankful for her friend’s understanding.

“I would like that.”

Getting to her feet, Rainystripe glanced at Spottedblaze, surprised at the worry she found. Padding out of camp, the woodland scents swooped aside all of her worries. Paws light, the two friends skipped from the entrance, going along the circular perimeter. They darted in and out of trees, the camp still visible through the low branches. Conifers and deciduous trees stood side by side, forming the rich fragrance of Greenleaf. Rainystripe took a deep breath, glad to get away from the urgencies of camp. The few leaves dotting the ground scattered under the two cats’ paws as they chased each other, forgetting their responsibilities in the sunny haze of the forest. Suddenly, they raced into a huge shadow. Giggling turned to gawking as Rainystripe stared up at the monstrous pile of rocks. Many fox-lengths high, it cast a deep shadow.

“Whoa,” Rainystripe breathed softly.

Spottedblaze nodded slowly, taking in every gesture that her deputy made. Rainystripe started around the pile, carefully sniffing for danger. Coming back to her friend, Rainystripe sat with a plop.

“The camp is in no immediate danger, but this rock pile could still be a threat. Camp is merely a tail-length away.”

Again Spottedblaze nodded.

Rainystripe flicked her tail in annoyance but turned back to her friend. “Can you show me that bramble thicket?”

The smile came back to Spottedblaze’s face. “Sure thing!”

Her tail waving happily, Spottedblaze trotted off in the opposite direction of Pineclan Camp. Rainystripe hastily followed her, checking for prey on the way. The darkened mood lightened again and the two cats were soon laughing and pouncing on each other. The red sun sat on the tops of the trees, turning the sky brilliant colors. Red shadows crossed the forest,  making the breathtaking sight of green trees and scarlet pine nettles into a beautiful masterpiece. Pine nettles were strewn about as two pairs of paws tramped all through the trees. Finally Spottedblaze caught sight of the bramble patch. Bathed in twilight, the brambles looked menacing. Suddenly, the brown thorns grew red, and the metallic scent of blood filled Rainystripe’s nose. A screech shook the air. Whipping her head to the left, Rainystripe saw a cat and a dark figure locked in a duel. The world spun around her, Rainystripe was barely on her paws. The screeching of cats grew louder until it was the only noise. Cats fought all around her and a black figure loomed in front of her. 

“Rainystripe? Are you okay?”

The familiar voice penetrated Rainystripe’s fear. Her eyes focused on Spottedblaze, who stood next to her, supporting her. Blood still pounding, Rainystripe nodded. 

“I-I’m okay,” She stuttered.

“I’ve never seen you so shook up. I’m taking you to Leafpool’s den.”

“No!” Rainystripe said with unwarranted harshness. “I mean, no. That isn’t necessary. Lets get as much of these brambles as we can carry, well need them to complete the wall I plan to build.” Looking back at the thistles, they returned to their normal color.