Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

     I had only known Emily for a couple of days. Other than Kasey, we had no connection to each other. Fact after fact of why this whole nonsensical situation seemed unbelievable—impossible—raced through my mind, but all I could say—all that came out of my mouth—was a single word.

     "Why?"

     She lowered the bow, but kept her eyes on me. The small clearing she brought me to only allowed for us to be no more than fifteen to twenty feet apart. Even with the surrounding darkness of the forest and the fact that night had fallen, it was close enough to see her mouth twist into that smile it always seemed to wear.

     "You said you heard bits and pieces of the story of Amitola and Huyana. Well then, I'll tell you the rest."

     Amitola and Huyana? Was she seriously about to enact a story time? But if it prolonged her plans of, you know, shooting me, who was I to interrupt?

     "I know how careful you were trying to be earlier," she continued. "You know exactly what the sisters were, seeing as your mate is an heir of the four."

     How? How could she possibly have known that about Caleb? Not even Gray's pack full of pure bloods who had been watching Caleb and his pack for months knew about his identity. How could she have figured that out?

     "I don't know what you're talking about—"

     "Save it, Ava-Rain. I know all about Caleb. I mean," that wicked smile appeared once again, "I was going to be his mate, after all."

     My heart stopped.

     Shock hit me first, and it was immediately followed by a blow of panic. It truly felt like I just had the wind knocked out of me.

     It was impossible.

     She was lying.

     She was. . .not her.

     She couldn't have been her.

     Because she was supposed to be dead.

     "Emmy Grace. . ."

     "Emmeline Grace, to be exact." She looked delighted. Happy, even. The way a celebrity might react when they were recognized on the street. "You know who I am?"

     You are the girl who Caleb loved before me; the girl who still haunted his memories.

     The girl that was going to become the pack's alpha female.

     The girl that was supposed to have been mauled to death by Angelie.

     "I do."

     "Well, only what Caleb has told you, I'm sure. But because he didn't know everything, it's only right that I tell you all of who I am. I am Emmeline Grace Leblanc, descendant of Amitola, heir of the four, born of light. And you are Ava-Rain, descendant of Huyana, heir of the four, born of darkness."

     She was crazy.

     There was no explanation other than this girl was certifiably insane.

     "You're telling me that you think that we are both descendants of two female hunters from, like, a million years ago? Do you know how crazy that sounds? How crazy you sound? That's impossible!"

    Just then, thunder roared above us in the sky, and the rain began to pour down more heavily.

     "As impossible as coming back from the dead? Just as Amitola and Huyana were reborn by the power of the four that came from their mates, I stand before you reborn, too."