Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Notes: Ava-Rain's POV

* * *

- 'Thunder only happens when it's raining. . .'-

Dreams (Cover), Gabrielle Aplin & Bastille

* * * *

It's dark and I'm terrified.

Fear burns throughout my body as I run through the forest, not daring to look back even once. Knowing that it's on my heals pushes me to run faster. To run harder.

I don't know how long I've been running. I can't tell you why. I only know that I can't stop. If I do, I know that it'll be the end. It'll all be over.

All around me, the trees are nothing more than a blur as I pass them by. Branches breaking beneath my feet along with my heavy breaths fill my ears.

I want to stop. I know how much easier it would be if I just stop running and give up. Give in.

But I don't.

I. . .I can't.

I ignore the pain in my chest and continue to run. I run until the pain becomes non-existent. Until silence fills the air around me. Until I feel the chase come to an end. Until the hunt is over.

The chase leads me to a clearing, and inside of it, she is waiting for me.

And in this moment, I realize why I am here.

Bathed in the moonlight, I stand rooted in the grass. Brown eyes stare back at me, her wild curly hair rustles from the wind floating around us both.

I move towards her and watch her as she watches me. She doesn't move, she simply waits for me to come to her. But when I am half way there, she raises a hand that stills me in my tracks. Her hand reaches out, a gesture for me to take it, and her mouth twists into a wicked smile.

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as a shiver runs down my spine. My heart begins to pound furiously as I stare directly at her.

I take a step closer. Then another. And another. Even as the wind grows harsh, even as my fear makes the blood in my veins run cold, I continue towards her.

One cannot evade death, and death is summoning me.

So, I go.

I lift my hand as I near her. Just as my hand takes hers, all around us the forest erupts into flames.

'Wake. . .' She says and tightens her grip on my hand.

The earth beneath me begins to shake and split, but I fight to remain on my feet. The crisp night air mixed with the heat from the burning trees creates a feeling I can only describe as that precise moment when the final second of dawn ticks down and the first ray of sunlight gently caresses you. My nose fills with the scent of smoke, of burning wood and grass.

Of flesh.

I look down and see that my entire body is on fire. For only a split second do I panic, and when that moment passes, I embrace it. I don't feel the flames. I don't feel anything other than power and pleasure.

And it feels so good. It feels so right. I have never felt as alive as I do in this moment.

'Wake. . .' She says again.