Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Notes: Ava-Rain's POV

* * *

- '. . .f*** a fake friend, where your real friends at?' -

* * * *

"I'm sorry. Ava-Rain, I'm so, so sorry."

     For the entire five minutes that we had been inside of her house, I had not spoken one word to Jennifer. Not when she led us into the living room, nor when she tried to defuse the awkward silence with her perfect smile and useless attempts at small talk. With Caleb close behind me and Kasey by my side, I purposely stayed across the room from her, trying to convince myself that it was the best place to be to keep Caleb—whose gaze remained solely on the pure blood named Gray—and Kasey—who was throwing deadly glares in Jennifer's direction—in check.

     But that wasn't entirely true.

     Putting as much space between Jennifer and myself was a conscious choice because I was certain if she was so much as an arms length away from me, I might have killed her.

     But the moment that pathetic apology slipped past her, all bets were off. All I saw was red as my entire body filled with a hot, fiery rage that burned hotter the more I stared at her. I don't remember crossing the room towards her, only the feeling of my hands around her neck and the euphoric feeling that emerged as I watched her eyes fill with fear as she struggled to breathe.

     The feeling was cut short far too quickly when I felt myself being pulled away from Jennifer and Caleb's voice in my ear begging me to calm down.

     "Sorry?" I shouted at her while trying to escape Caleb's hold. "You're sorry? Do you know what you did? Do you have any idea what you did? Declan," I pointed in his direction at the back of the room, "almost died because of you! I almost died because of you!"   

     She was blocked from my sight when Gray's tall form moved in front of her hunched over frame. "Control your God-damned mate or I will!" He locked eyes with Caleb before lowering them to me. "And do not forget that I spared you not once, but twice. Do not make me regret it—"

     "Gray, it's okay." Jennifer managed to regain her composure and stepped out from behind the pure blood. "I'm okay," she assured him as she rubbed her neck. He only spared a second to look at her before he maneuvered his body in front of her once again.

     As good as it felt to attack Jennifer, I knew that such an opportunity was not going to rise again anytime soon. And as pointless as I knew it was, I continued to try and break free from Caleb's iron grip, not because I wanted to make another attempt to strangle her but because I knew it would have kept him distracted from answering the pure blood's threat.

     "You haven't changed even after all this time, and you never will, will you?" I shook my head. "Sorry can't always fix everything, Jennifer. You were supposed to be my best friend! How could you do that to me?"

     "I didn't know," she had the audacity to say before looking up at the pure blood who still remained in front of her. "He promised me. . ."

     "And why the hell are you running around with pure bloods anyway?" Kasey asked. "How long have you known about the existence of wolves?"

    I and everyone one else in the room wanted to know the answer to that question. But Jennifer's reply had not come right away. And because I had been watching her so intensely, I was able to see what the others might not have picked up on just yet, even though it was so obvious.