One for Sorrow, Two for Joy.

Harry remained kneeling at Snape's side, simply staring down at him, until quite suddenly a high, cold voice spoke so close to us that Harry jumped on his feet, and I turned with my wand at the ready, gripped tightly in my hands, thinking that Voldemort had re-entered the room.

Voldemort's voice reverberated from the walls and floor, I held  my head in pain as he spoke to Hogwarts and to all the surrounding area, that the residents of Hogsmeade and all those still fighting in the castle would hear him as clearly as if he stood beside them, his breath on the back of their necks, a deathblow away.

"You have fought," said the high, cold voice, "valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery."

"Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste."

"Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately."

"You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured."

"I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall kill Elizabeth Dursley and every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

Ron, Hermione and I shook our heads frantically, looking at Harry.

"Don't listen to him," said Ron.

"You're staying by side."I said sternly,"We'll fight this together."

"It'll be alright," said Hermione wildly. "Let's -let's get back to the castle, if he's gone to the forest we'll need to think of a new plan -"

She glanced at Snape's body, then hurried back to the tunnel entrance. Ron followed her. I gathered up the Invisibility Cloak as Harry looked down at Snape. I grabbed Harry's hand and we met eyes, I cupped my little cousins face lovingly, wiping away dirt and blood,"I'll protect you... I'll always protect you, okay? Always. I love you. Please know that, I'll always be there for you. Always."

He looked at me and for the first time in my life I couldn't read what he was trying to say, but I took his hand and led him away from Snape, not wanting to let go of him. I led them three back through the tunnel, none of us talking, and I could still hear Voldemort ringing in my head.

You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest...One hour... One hour... One hour.

Small bundles seemed to litter the lawn at the front of the castle. It could only be an hour or so from dawn, yet it was pitch-black. The four of us hurried toward the stone steps. A lone dog, the size of a small boat, lay abandoned in front of us. There was no other sign of Grawp or of his attacker.

The castle was unnaturally silent. There were no flashes of light now, no bangs or screams or shouts. The flagstones of the deserted entrance hall were stained with blood. Emeralds were still scattered all over the floor, along with pieces of marble and splintered wood. Part of the banisters had been blown away.

"Where is everyone?" whispered Hermione.

Ron led the way to the Great Hall. Harry and I stopped in the doorway.

The House tables were gone and the room was crowded. The survivors stood in groups, their arms around each other's necks. The injured were being treated upon the raised platform by Madam Pomfrey and a group of helpers. Firenze was amongst the injured; his flank poured blood and he shook where he lay, unable to stand.