Chapter 18 (James)- The First Supper

Start from the beginning

The kitchen door slammed open with Karen and Cal bringing out the food. "Dinner is served!" Both women loudly announced.

James broke out of trance and smiled at Karen from across the room. She smiled back as her and Cal laid the food out on the table. Everyone then took seats at the table. Hunter wheeled James over towards the end of the table.

"The wolf wants to talk to you..." Hunter whispered into James's ear as he placed at the spot. Hunter then took the seat to James's left.

Karen sat down to the right of James. She took his hand. "Everything okay?"

"Yes", he replied. "Just got caught up in the moment. A perk of being a writer!" He smiled at her.

Looking around at the group of people, Karen considered that. "Yes, I think I know what you mean. This is an interesting selection of individuals! Definitely worthy of a story!" She winked at him.

James's heart fluttered. He could barely manage winking back. It amazed him at how in tune with each other they were. And they did not even know each other for a whole day! He was still anxious from his previous history but yet as time went on, it slowly diminished. He was not one to mess with fate but he had felt the pull, or push, and could not fight it.

Cal knocked on the table to get everyone's attention. "Due to his popularity, all of you know of him, but I will like to introduce him anyway!" She stood up. "Let's give him a warm welcome to the Retreat! James Solberg!"

Everyone around the table clapped and smiled while facing him. Seeing so many people so happy to see him, made him really feel good. It had been years since he felt like this. Slowly, he realized how great of a decision it was to come here. At the same time, he did not know the reach and impact his stories had. That made him smile.

As they ate, James was asked about his life, his works, his popularity, the accident, everything!  He answered the best who could without coming off annoyed, and mean. Fortunately, the topic shifted, a bit, and he was thankful.

"As a writer who has dabbled in the mystery genre every now and then, do you know what makes the town of Carson famous?" Xavier bluntly asked James.

Yes, there was something familiar about Carson. James definitely knew it, but was not too sure. Now he was going to find out. And he was happy for it.

"Not exactly but something about the town, and..." James looked at Karen but paused. She stopped eating and looked at him. He saw recognition in her eyes. Then she casually shrugged. "Nevermind..." He shook his head. "Anyway, yes. The town does come to my mind but for what exact reason, I am not sure. My recall has not been good since the accident!" He knocked on his head.

Xavier smiled. Almost everyone at the table either rolled their eyes or shook their heads. Karen seemed to be the most animated, in a way.

"What?!?" Xavier cried out. "What is wrong with bouncing my ideas off of him? James is a writer, maybe he can help me! For all we know, it could inspire him to write a story about it!"

Everyone looked at James. "So, what is it? What happened to this town to make it so famous?"

"Let's see if this jogs your memory: 1987, Carson, single murder, victim Mille, suspect William Eisenberg; who disappeared into these very woods after his girlfriend's dead body was found." Xavier smiled at the look on James's face.

James finally remembered and realized. It had been years since he stumbled upon and last thought about that case. William Clark Eisenberg and Leonard Des Moines. That was the connection. Maybe. But he was sure there was more to it. But he kept that go himself, for now. He looked over at Karen and nodded. Her expression was one of bewilderment.

"Yes, now that most definitely rings a bell. It was many years ago when I must of found out. Well before my accident! I just can't believe I had forgotten..."

"Wait..." Guy interupted. "You did not come to write a story about that?"

James shook his head.

"Oh... That's a shame..." Guy looked down. "We kind of had a bet going... Between some of us. I guess I lost..."

"So did I..." Xavier confirmed.

"But I did not!" Hunter spoke up. "I have been telling everyone that something else was drawing you here. Something in these woods. They did but believe me so most of us bet on it!"

Everyone was quiet guaranteeing and confirming that that was the truth. Once again James caught himself staring out the window to the woods. The Douglas fir moved to the breeze. He may have denied it before but there was a chance that something was drawing him here. Out of all the places he could of picked, or refused, he selected this place. Of all places. He shook his head. He was a realist and a relatively grounded person. Maybe. But still, such notions are filled with fancy. And yet... He turned again to look at the closed and locked door. What was hidden away in there?

Soon after dinner and cleaning up, everyone congregated next to said door. Karen helped James onto the couch and sat next to him. She was lovingly holding his hand regardless of everyone else seeing. Fortunately, no one said anything, which he was really happy about. They all made him feel so comfortable. Except Hunter. With twitching eyes, he would glance from outside at the woods back towards at him. Like he was anxious about something. Something in the forest... Wolves... Wolves in the forest. He shook his head when someone called his name.

"James, Xavier wants to know if you agree with him." Guy inquired. "Mr. Conspiracy Theorist over hear thinks that he has the Eisenberg case figured out, or something!"

Xavier smiled when James looked at him. "Tell me what you think."

"Honestly, I don't think William killed his girlfriend Mille. Before the murder, the town use to say good things about their relationship. Even with his celebrity status, they were seen as the perfect couple. Then literally, overnight, some people just started saying these horrible lies. Those that continued to speak positively about them either disappeared or met with an unexpected death! The witnesses too, shared a similar fate. Those who tried to say that William was down the block or outside the building during the murder, were quickly silenced. A select few were certain that William was there and actually did kill Millie. They kept their stories 'straight' for many years. As soon as the investigation stopped, those witnesses vanished as well!" Xavier paused. "There is more, of course. Like how his wallet, some clothes, and his car keys were found in Millie's blood. All of that just seems to good to be true! After all of the research I have done, I just have this feeling that there is more to this murder. That someone, for some nefarious reason, wanted to specifically pin Millie's murder on William. Almost like they were trying to get rid of him."

James smiled and nodded. Everyone eagerly listened for his response.

"I believe and feel, from what I can remember, that I stumbled upon that conclusion as well. Maybe more! But I can tell that you are definitely on the right track!"

Xavier smiled back. "Will you help me investigate then? To the best of your ability, help me crack this conspiracy?"

"The game is afoot!" James winked shaking his hand.

Once everyone had left after some fun and games, James and Karen were alone in her room.

"I did not want to say anything in front of the others, but..." James held Karen's hands, "I know that your father was friends with William Eisenberg. He most likely could have known whether or not William was the murderer. Don't ask me how or why, but I have a distinct feeling that the answer to that mystery lies in that locked room."

Karen straddled him. "Since you might be regaining your feeling from the waste down, do you think you will be able to use everything again?" She asked grabbing his crotch.

Suddenly, James experienced something he had not felt in a while, arousal, and the beginnings of an erection. "Hey now! I know that you trying to distract me! But... But... Oh, I think that it is working! Please don't stop... It has been a while since I had such... feelings..."

"Don't worry my love. We will have plenty of time to talk about my father. He had his secrets, most of which he kept from me... But all in due time..." Karen deeply kissed him while helping him take off his clothes.