I didn't react to his words, instead, I grabbed the letter addressed to me.

I slipped my finger in the seal and pried it open. Isabella's strict handwriting shone in blue ink, the sun setting off the freshly dried words.

Dear, Maurea.

Meet me tonight. The river bends just outside of the house's view and there is a clearing. Meet me there and I will come when you hear the bell from the estate. I worry that Father will question the servants and I don't know if they will talk, so we must be careful. Soon enough, he will know you were here, but I am working to prevent it. This will be our last contact. I want to see that you escape Spain and you'll need resources. Meet me there tonight and we shall say goodbye for good.

All of my love,

Isabella

My heart constricted and I passed the letter to Jax who was deep in thought. He didn't notice the letter, so I put it near his hand and leaned back.

My eyes fluttered as my body began to slow down, the warm rocks loosening my aching muscles. With the adrenaline fading, I eased myself into a relaxed position in the middle of the rocky outcome with the pounding of the river matching my heartbeat.

"I'm going to get some rest, wake me up in a few hours so you can rest as well," I yawned as I began to slip into the darkness. I heard a small grunt from Jax and a smile curled on my lips as my eyes closed.

My dreams were warm, visions of Isabella and Helena drinking tea while sharing stories, Jax swimming in the underground lake with faceless people laughing, and Jax sailing with Alexander while Atoya smiled his fatherly smile from behind. The dreams were lucid and, for a moment, I thought they were real until a warm hand shook me awake. I didn't want to leave the visions my subconscious had created, but the person was insistent.

I groaned and swatted at the hand on my shoulder and instead my wrist connected with something else. I heard a grunt and opened my eyes to find Jax holding his shoulder.

"I was only waking you," Jax smiled. "There is no need to attack me." His eyes were glowing and a smirk was plastered on his features.

I wanted to apologize, but he wasn't hurt and my pride got in the way.

"What do you need?" I grumbled and sat up from my position curled up near the tall man. The sky was darker and the moon was rising over our hiding place. "How long was I asleep?"

"You've slept the entire day and your stomach was complaining." He handed me a piece of bread and a small curl of cheese from the bag. "Your sister said to meet when the bell rings after dark. We should leave in a few hours soon if we want to find it by dark."

I nibbled on the cheese and looked at him. "Jax, did you sleep at all?"

His eyes widened and his lips opened a fraction before turning away to look over the rocks. "No, but I will be fine. I spent a few hours in the water while I guarded the area."

"You shouldn't have done that. What if your eyes give you away?" I was angry for a moment, but that disappeared as I noticed the bags under his eyes. "And you didn't sleep?"

He shook his head and I grabbed his jaw so he was looking at me. "You need to sleep. Next time, wake me up so you can sleep."

He held my gaze and I felt my fingers burning. I had never been so brash with someone, even Isabella and I wanted to pull my fingers away, but I couldn't. I needed Jax to understand me and realize we were partners.

He nodded and grabbed my hand from his face, pulling me to my feet as he stood.

"Let's go," he said. Jax walked away from the small camp. The empty void where he once stood was plain and barren. I stood for a moment, looking at it before grabbing the bag and following.

We found the clearing as the temperature began to drop, the sun began to sink out of view, the trees shading the clearing. Our meeting stop was only a few yards across, big enough for a small hut, but the trees were thick around it, impenetrable to the naked eyes. It was perfect for a secret meeting, but it would make spying a greater danger.

"We can wait here," Jax said, squatting down in the bushes to watch the clearing.

"Why?" I questioned. "Isabella said she would be careful."

"Because we all make mistakes and we cannot afford one at the moment. Your sister could still be used against us."

He saw the glare I had directed at his head and looked away. "Isabella will be careful and she's much smarter than those men give her credit for."

"Still, I don't trust your family. We don't know anything about them." He looked at me and waited for me to argue. When I opened my mouth, however, he put a finger to his lips to quiet me.

"I wouldn't trust them either, but I don't doubt that Isabella would be careful."

"When she arrives, you should stay here and wait for me to talk to her, make sure that she is completely innocent before coming out. I don't know how manipulative your father can be and it would be best for you to stay hidden until we can be sure they're not lurking."

"Alright, but please don't be overly cautious. She is my sister after all," I muttered.

"I'll let you know when I think it's safe," he disappeared into the brush.

I could hear the booted footsteps traveling the perimeter of the clearing until they stopped, the last proof I had Jax was close. The cool wind blew through the trees and more than once a rustling in the bushes caused me to look around in fear. I missed the reassurance Jax brought with him, but I knew he wouldn't abandon me now.

After what I judged to be half an hour, the wind brought the chime of a bell through the woods and the tension in the air increased. Thousands of possibilities swept in front of me.

I scanned the clearing like Jax had, waiting for my sister to appear. Every leaf that moved drew my attention, but no woman appeared for the longest time.

The crunch of leaves under boot came closer and Isabella walked into the clearing and, from behind, a dark shadow crept toward her.