Chapter 18

Alexander was waiting to greet us with a booming laugh and strong embrace. His beard tickled my head as I was released only for Jax to suffer the same abuse.

"Helena told me you'd stop by," he smiled, eyes twinkling. "It's good to see you're doing well."

"I'm lucky to have been found by you. Intutum is lovely, I can't imagine life without it."

"Not all it's held to be, but I suppose it's alright." He pushed open the door to his office, ushering us inside. "Helena, dear. They're here."

The frizzy head of hair appeared from the side room as Helena bolted forward "I'm happy to see you arrived safely. I expected you to come by water, not land." Helena pulled me inside, her green eyes flashing. "You're lucky to have gotten here with no problems."

"What on earth do you mean?"

"The docks have been crawling with posters. You're quite the celebrity." She pulled a flyer off the wall, holding it up. "They were put up a month ago. Somehow your father knew you made it here. Everyone was talking about you."

I snatched the poster, my fingers wrinkling the paper. My face was inked on the paper, staring straight ahead like a lost little girl. My name and details were printed below with a reward for information or retrieval of the 'stolen' girl. My father, even desperate, wouldn't risk his pride to admit I'd run away.

"Will the men on the ship stay silent?" I asked, stuffing the paper into my bag.

"I have no doubt they'll keep your visit silent," Alexander assured. "You're here to visit, we shouldn't dwell on the posters."

"I think it would be better for you to swim while I walk back," Jax said as we settled around the table. "For now, avoiding the docks would be best."

"I suppose." I settled into an armchair, kicking off my shoes. After two months of bare soles, the shoes left callus and inflamed my skin.

"How have you been, Maurea. I was disappointed it took you this long to visit." Helena was slouched on a loveseat with Alexander pushed to the side.

She looked like a young mother scolding her misbehaving toddler. I still couldn't take her seriously, not with the faint pout that was exaggerated.

"I was settling into my new life. Don't reprimand me for taking my time. I'm here now and have missed you."

"Well I expect you to visit more often," Helena threatened. "We're due to sail in another week. I expect to see you by then."

"I swear I'll be here to watch you depart," I lay my hand over my heat, struggling to keep a straight face. "When you leave, I'll swim behind until you're out of the bay."

"You could always come with us," Helena offered. "I wouldn't mind a female companion. Leave with us, sail away from your wanted posters."

"Maybe in the future. It isn't the right time."

"The offer still stands," she shrugged, struggling back into the plush pillow of the couch.

"Where are you leaving too?"

"A larger company has hired us to deliver cargo along the cape of Africa before returning," Alexander said, his voice prideful. "It should take just over three months, our biggest venture yet."

"Congratulations," Jax leaned across his armrest, skating both the captain's hands. "It'll be boring without you two close."

"We'll miss you too, Jax," Helena beamed.

I was thrilled for my friends. They were growing and their leaving meant change, change in my world as much as theirs. The ship I arrived on would sail away leaving me with no connections to the past.