Chapter 27

Isabella's footsteps stopped as she looked around the clearing. The cold wind blew through the woods and the dainty woman shook and wrapped her arms around herself. Her skirt fluttered as she waited for something to happen.

The shadowed figure slunk through the trees like a cat before drawing into the open. I was ready to run for Isabella and warn her, but, before I could, the moonlight revealed Jax's pale features and dark eyes. He walked toward the unassuming women and a delicate move of his mouth caused Isabella to whirl around to meet him.

Her dark hair moved as she talked, Jax listening carefully before he gestured to the trees surrounding the clearing. He looked at the woman in front of him and I could see Isabella's hair shift as she nodded.

I couldn't catch their words, but Isabella's body language began to change as Jax started talking. She took a step back and held her hands up in front of her. Whatever Jax was saying agitated her. His hands slowly raised to show he meant no harm.

Isabella still backed up and looked around quickly. Her head turned to the woods and she wouldn't look Jax in the eyes.

He stepped forward, head bent down and sorrow evident. Whatever he said had the same effect of Isabella and her hand flew to her mouth, body shaking. Jax looked up and waited for her to say something. Her body kept shaking, but her head bobbed a few times. Jax nodded and his face shifted from my sisters to mine. His eyes looked at the section of forest I was hiding in and he motioned for me to come over.

I stood and my legs shook from kneeling for so long. My boots disturbed the leaves and Isabella turned to look at me. I emerged into the clearing and began running to greet her. Her eyes were red and tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Isabella, are you alright?" I half yelled as I threw my arms around her, burying my head in her hair. I had a sudden burst of hot anger, thinking Jax had offended her, but the thought was instantly beaten away.

Her body was still shaking and it took a moment for her arms to snake around my back, but she held me close and for once I felt like I was supporting her.

"I'm going to walk the perimeter and let you talk." Jax said. I looked up at him and nodded. He gave me a small, guilty smile and disappeared.

Isabella's arms tightened as Jax spoke. When he was gone, she pulled back to look at me. Her puffy face held fear and pain despite the small smile she was using to hide.

"Jax said there was something different about you this morning, but he didn't tell me you were a Spirit." Isabella said as she held my left shoulder and wiped her tears with her free hand. Her voice sounded heartbroken and it was choked with her sobs.

I felt my eyes go wide and I involuntarily took a step back. "What did Jax say?" I asked, staring at my sister with a feeling of betrayal.

Isbella laughed as she continued whipping the fat tears from her face, but her laugh was flat and humorless. "He just told me who he is, what he is, and what you are."

"And you don't hate us?" I asked. I was shocked to see Isabella accepted us as Spirits immediately while it had taken me a week.

"I could never hate you. We just need time." Her lips thinned as she began to work her way through the problem. Her hands pulsed as she muttered to herself. "We can fix you. There has to be some way to make you human again. I promised, I will help you."

I pulled away slightly, worried. "Isabella, I don't need to be fixed. I am happy with who I am. The Spirits are like a family to me." I couldn't contain my excitement and the daydreams I had restrained suddenly broke free. "You would love Dayami, she is more skilled than even you with a needle. And Alexander could show you the world. He's a sailor and his wife is the sweetest person I have ever met. You would love her."