Chapter 25

I joined Isabella standing at the window. Her long brown hair was pulled in her fist as she twirled the ends, a tick she developed when thinking.

"What was the nature of your conversation?" I asked, clasping my hands together. The skin that used to be soft and subtle was now tough, calloused and dry.

Isabella studied me before smiling. She extended both hands and I walked over, taking mine.

"I only asked him how you met and why he felt obligated to help you," she explained. "It's natural I worry for my little sister. Jax seemed to share my sentiments."

I shook my head at my sister's bold actions. She had always been the stubborn sister, facing all obstinate head on.

"If I'm being honest," I pulled away, tugging at her hands, smiling, "I have only known him for a few weeks."

I hated to admit I had allowed someone she viewed as a stranger to join me and brought him to her house, but Isabella was drawing her own conclusion. That could be dangerous, but I could use the situation to ease her into the idea of Jax. If she trusted the both of us, we could learn more from her. I didn't want to see my sister as the enemy, but our motives were less than honorable.

"If you say so," she teased. "He does care for you. I only had to ask what your relationship was before he agreed to protect you when I cannot be there."

I felt my face heat up as Isabella swept past me. Her dress hid her stomach and I realized she must have just developed symptoms.

"Does your husband know you're pregnant?" I looked down at her dress and the state of the house. If I was Lord Bartne, I would have never left my pregnant wife alone. He wasn't a horrible man, but he held no love for my sister. A child could change that.

Once Lord Bartne found that Isabella was expecting, there was a fool's chance of kidnapping her. Not only that, once Isabella gave birth, she would be inseparable from the child. Our window of opportunity had shrunk tenfold.

"No. I don't talk to him often, he's busy." Opening the door, she led me out. "Let's go for a walk. How does that sound?"

I followed Isabella out of the room, leaving the breakfast dishes for the maids. The house was finely decorated, but it looked worthless next to my sister's smile as she pointed out her favorite artwork and showed me the library that occupied her days. She seemed genuinely happy and I pushed the thought of stealing her away for the moment, imagining I was here for a friendly visit.

"What happened to your clothes?" Isabella asked as she finally opened the door to the gardens.

"I had to hide in many different places," I shrugged, "and it's not easy travelling across the country."

"Still, they are exceptionally dirty," she said, scrutinizing my appearance. "Your hair and skin look as if they've been drowned in tar."

I lifted the cotton shirt, studying the mud crusted on the lower part. "I don't think they are that bad. A simple wash and the fabric will be almost new."

Isabella gasped and my heart stopped, thinking I had revealed my non-desirable attire. Instead she pulled my pant leg up, revealing the only boots that had fit me in the storage room. "Where did you get the heeled boots? They aren't your style." She leaned in, glancing around the room, "Only country prowlers wear boots like this."

Isabella looked at them with a crinkled nose. The mud coated soles and cracked leather were comfortable, but I could understand how she would mistaken them for a prostitute's footwear.

"They were the only option. I trust you know me well enough to believe that I am honorable and meant no harm. Besides," I joked, "I don't intend to wear them much longer." Just until I was able to return to Intutum with my sister as an ally.