Chapter 9

The evening ticked by quickly and soon enough the moon rose high above the ship, the waves reflecting its glow. The rest of the crew was settling down for the night and preparing for a late meal.

The four of us sat around a small, mahogany table that had been moved to the center of the room. The large chairs were set close to each other, so close that I could reach out and touch Helena across from me.

The small glass table that Helena and I had used for tea was piled high with roast vegetables, bread, and pork. Alexander and Jax had arrived minutes before and settled in to eat. Alexander reported there had been no other survivors and, for the first time, I felt a sliver of pity for the men. I'm sure not all of them were cruel.

Our plates were stuffed with the rich food and our cups were full of warm tea. The good food made conversation easy and everyone was smiling.

As the four of us swapped stories, I could see the love Helena and Alexander had for each other. It was simple things they did. Whenever Helena started speaking, Alexander lowered his fork or glass so that he could listen, drinking in every word. His eyes only left his bride when he was talking or eating. Otherwise, he was staring at her with calming eyes and a delicate smile.

Helena was also entrapped, her eyes glancing at the man as though he would disappear any moment. Numerous times Helena had been speaking while subconsciously leaning toward or reaching for Alexander. I don't believe she noticed, but I did. A human living harmoniously with us made me dream.

Glancing across the table, I found Alexander laughing, head tilted back as his jaw shook. Their conversation seemed to have taken a few steps in the second I wasn't paying attention.

"I think the fair would be fun," Jax grumbled. "We never do anything exciting anymore, all the talk of survival."

"Perhaps you'll have a chance to slip into the celebration when we return. What about you, Maurea?" Helena asked. "What will you do?"

There was so much I wanted to do, but nothing that I knew for certain. Only one thing came to mind as an immediate plan.

I shrugged my shoulders, raising my goblet before speaking, trying to downplay the importance of my words. "I don't know. I might try to find my sister and help her to create a better life for us."

"A sister? You didn't tell me you had siblings!" The women and the man across from me turned their attention away from the child when I responded.

Jax and Alexander's heads both snapped to Helena, their eyes wide and warning. Her smile stuck on her face, jaw tight.

"Yes. I haven't seen her in a long time. She was married off to a Lord in the South. My father's estate is farther North, near the capital. He didn't allow me to visit, so our only contact has been lettered." The faces around me softened and I regretted saying anything. I didn't want their pity.

"After that, I don't know. Maybe I'll travel." My hurried words didn't cover up my earlier statement. When no one responded, the pain in my chest increased.

"I have one older sister." I looked from the men whose gaze was slowly turning back to me. "You're not being honest with me," I stated, knowing it was a fact. I had been patient, waiting for them to tell me more, but it didn't look like they were going to.

"If you ask us a question, we'll answer honestly," Alexander offered. "We should have been here when Helena explained, she doesn't know everything."

"You knew I was on that ship. Jax, you searched me out and tried to trick me off the ship. I want to know why."

"Helena, love," Alexander stood, offering his hand to the woman, "I hate to ask, but may we have a few minutes alone?"

"If you insist," Helena agreed, standing slowly. Her eyes lingered on us searching. "I trust you'll tell me what you discuss if you can."