Chapter 20

The morning light was just breaking as a collection of Spirits waded into the shallow water. We had given Amelia a farewell ceremony on land, referencing her human life and the family she had long departed before moving to her burial.

It was remarkable how much she had been and how little I had known of her. I had noted her dull red hair framed by her eagle-shaped wings, but nothing more. She was gone now, never to soar through the air or dive in the tide.

I was flanked by Yoki and Jax, the latter who had stuck next to me like he expected me to collapse at any moment.

As the part slipped into the water, head's disappearing under the water, I hung back away from the lead. Faraji and Anaula led the congregation, acting as her family. The pearl clutched in their talon-like hands was something I couldn't look at.

"The pearl will guide us to the resting place," Jax said, his voice low just before our heads sunk under.

I nodded, not sure if he could see it or not. It didn't matter either way.

The progression was fast, the water pulsing around us as we dropped deeper into the water. It could have been minutes or hours, but the light faded completely, only a slow pulse of shadows and water movements keeping me from bumping into the people around me.

I could see the glow of the pearl upheld, bobbing in the dark. I felt a hand slip into mine and a pull begin through my shoulder. Reaching back, I continued the link, warm palms blazing in the cool environment.

A buzz went through me, a tingle that shook and stung. The current spot through my hand, on to the next person. For just a moment, my mind wavered, then everything became sharper.

The rocky seafloor glowed below like a starry night sky. Pearls beamed in the canyon: pinks, whites, blues.

The lights danced in front of my eyes, showing the path of the Spirits. Anaula led us, the pearl clutched in one hand, pulling her down. Faraji was holding the opposite hand and so on, each Spirit united. Yoki had my hand and, turning, I found Jax had the other, a deadset expression.

It was a beautiful place to leave a Spirit to rest, surrounded by others who understood her, embraced in the thing which had given her life.

I wanted to say something, a whisper of regret for Anabel, but something told me to stay silent. A deep-set intuition told me not to speak, not to let go of the ones surrounding me. This was something I was allowed to participate in, but I could only see it and whisper about the place when gone. This was sacred, blessed.

The pearl was placed on a stone, higher than others, and Anaula moved swiftly on, her empty hand at her side.

The train continued each Spirit passing within reach of the pearl until it was my turn.

Time slowed down, my heart slowing to a crawl. There was laughter, a bell-like sound that brought with it a vision of a woman flying just above the water with dozens of faces streaming in the water below, a shadow falling over her as another Flyer dipped to meet her.

Then it was gone, my body pulled away and up toward the deep ocean once more. Tears caught in my eyes and a smile on my face.

She was home.