11 • Safehouse

"Roman..." I said, my voice shaking.

He looked at me and smiled. It was a kind of smile that was warm, heart-stopping. But as I looked into those amber depths, there was a coldness behind it, and I prepared not to shiver. Why did he become this?

He looked behind his broad shoulder; three shadows appeared behind him. I wanted to see who were behind those eternal black shadows. They were like dark ghosts standing on each side of Roman's tall figure. I stared. I couldn't leave. I knew I had to, but I couldn't. Even if I could sense danger lurking. Especially standing in front of him.

Roman held out his hand for me to hold, and I complied. He wrapped his warm hand around my cold one, pulling me slowly and gently toward him. I was in a half dream, half reality. His eyes gleamed, and I took an indrawn breath. The three shadows came near the two of us. Everything went dark.

I did not know what that dream meant at all. Everything was weird around me, and I knew I had to get out of the mansion quickly. I needed a place to be peaceful and free from strange happenings. I wanted to be free from this place, free from my horrible dreams, and free from the people around here living with me.

I thought when I was gone here, in this sort of hellhole, then I would escape from my powers. I did not want them at all and I would never want them, ever.

|||||

I always woke up early. I couldn't sleep at all. I wasn't feeling very sore and stiff anymore, so I got up and got dressed. It was dawn, with the sun still taking its precious time to rise. I took out a traveling bag out of the lower cabinet of the closet, took all the clothes that I needed. I zipped them up and looked at myself in the mirror of my bathroom. I actually looked old and weary. I traced the circles under my olivine eyes with a finger -- they were deep and purple from staying up so late and not being able to sleep. My face got thinner, too, and my lips were dry as a prune. I checked my body...I was thinner than my usual size. I looked like an old fifty-year-old rather than a young seventeen-year-old.

But I didn't care.

I sighed and tied my hair up. I didn't take a shower, since I was in a hurry to get away. I took my heavy bag from the bed, and went out carefully. I took great caution from disturbing the siblings.

As I reached the stairs, I got down quickly, but cautiously, and went through the halls, entering the garage. The Van Allens would murder me if they knew what I was about to do when they woke up later.

I took Georgie's key to her Beetle from the peg across the garage and got inside in a hurry, cussing when the stupid garage door was automatically opening in such a slow pace. Alistair would be awake in thirty-five minutes, and I had to move fast to get away quickly. My life was at stake. I didn't want to end my life now.

Finally the garage door was fully up, then I pulled on reverse and hit the gas. I did not wait for the garage door to close, and so I stepped on the gas of the Beetle harder, my booted feet never wavering as I left the mansion in a hurry.

I remembered the secret passageways of the forest, when we went to the mall. I was at speed. I knew I was safe as I got farther away.

At least I thought I was, anyway. I wished that no nightmare would haunt me from my sleep, or even when I was awake ever again. I wished they would just let me go freely. I would return Georgie's car, but I wouldn't be the one returning it. Truck would do well. She had been so nice to me, and I had grown to love her as my best friend and sister. But some things were meant to change and I knew that she would be furious and change her good thoughts about me.

I went as far as I could go, the headlights clearing my view of the snowy lane. Everything was dark as I reached the little town I knew so well when my family were still alive, which was far from the Van Allen mansion. I parked my car in front of a little pale blue house and got out. I was holding my traveling bag in one hand, then I went up the porch steps and rung the doorbell. I closed my eyes and bit my lip hard. This was the only place I knew well now. This was the only place I knew I would be safe. I was hoping and praying at that moment that the door would open, and the person I was expecting would welcome me with open arms.