6 • Weakening Light

6 • Weakening Light

I woke up the next morning, feeling perplexed and strained. My whole body was shivering and weak, and I was perspiring coldly. My teeth chattered audibly as I lay there on the canopied bed. I tried to give a huge effort to move my head to the side where my clock was set on the sidetable, peering at it. Suddenly, my visions were a blur, and I had to squint to look at it clearly.

It was only two in the morning, but I couldn't sleep anymore. I made an effort to sit up and swing my legs to the side of the bed until my feet touched the carpeted floor. I groaned and scowled at the sudden weakness I felt and the pain. I hurled myself to stand, my hand gripping tightly on the bedpost.

I made to the walk-in closet in the end, wearing four jackets, two sweatpants, two thick socks, gloves, and a robe. I looked ridiculous, but I suddenly felt so cold, that it was like I was going to break in half in no time.

This is strange.

Why was I like this? I was never sick a day in my life.

Or...maybe I was just too tired and stressed from thinking too much -- especially about what happened yesterday.

Yesterday.

With Roman.

I closed my eyes as I felt the vertigo coming, then I continued walking to my door. I was about to open it when I heard some loud howling. I looked behind me, wincing at the pain it cost me. Nevertheless I walked, one by one, taking each step with great effort, and I reached my window, looking outside.

The sky was still dark. I could still see the stars twinkling and the moon was still there, casting light, silver strands of the twinkling sky shining down upon the great mansion.

All of a sudden...I saw something. It was a white wolf that was lurking in the clear snow, just in front of my window. It wasn't staring in my direction, and so I took the chance to look at it. It was magnificent. Its fur looked so soft and so white, its movements graceful, lurking at two in the morning. Its pink tongue was out, tired from running, I believed.

It howled again, the sound oddly soothing somehow. And then my head began to pound again. I placed a hand to my forehead to rub it. I was still feeling cold, even though I was already wrapped up like a burrito. Aughh.

When the pain stopped, I looked at the window again, wanting to see if the magnificent creature, checking if it was still there -- it was gone.

I frowned, feeling disappointment in not seeing the wolf again. Defeated, I walked carefully to my door.

Maybe I could just go down to the kitchen and get something to eat. Or maybe I could just bring it up to my room and eat here. That way, I could rest immediately without having to descend anymore.

Satisfied with my plan, I opened the door and closed my eyes tightly, feeling a deep flash of pain once more. I clenched my teeth and groaned. What was happening to me?

My head leaned on the door frame, pushed myself up, and walked to the maze of hallways. I reached the corridor of the Van Allen siblings, then everything went silent.

Alistair didn't wake up until four or five, and the others would wake up much later. I continued walking, looking down, my head throbbing badly, while I perspired and felt so cold. I could maybe stay in the living room and light the fire...

Yes! Perfect. My forefinger and thumb was rubbing my temples, feeling agony all over me. As I kept walking, I bumped into someone, and knocked myself backward, my body thudding to the ground.