Chapter 28

Everywhere I looked there was new buildings, new faces, a new life. The lower ring of Ba Sing Se was cramped and busy. You didn't know who you could trust. But for now it was home. Zuko and Iroh went out to look for things to buy for our new house while I decided to stay inside, check things out.

The house was small, that's for sure but manageable, nearly identical to the houses next door. The furniture was also basic, 3 cots, a few chairs, a small couch, and a table. Luckily the kitchens was decent so Iroh would be able to make tea whenever he wanted.

My eyes lingered over to the staff weapon I had gotten not so long ago. I had somehow managed to keep it hidden for now but... I wasn't sure how long that was going to last.

"(Y/N) we're back!!" Iroh announced bursting through the door "and look, my nephew brought you flowers!"

Zuko awkwardly stepped toward up and handed me a bouquet of bright orange flowers,
"Uncle picked them out... I hope they're okay"

"Oh um...t-they're lovely! Thank you Zuko... just wish I had somewhere nice to put them. Ahhh here this table will do!" I exclaimed setting the flowers on the small wooden table.

"You-you really like them?" His golden eyes brimmed with relief.

"Ya of course... you got them for me afterall" I muttered my cheeks growing red in hue.

"Now now you two we better get ready to leave because today we start our new tea serving job!" Iroh beamed putting his arms around us both.

"We-we we're starting a new job today? Already?"

"I forgot to tell you... Uncle got us jobs at some tea shop nearby..." Zuko replied looking down.

~

The tea shop was dark, lit with green-yellow lanterns and decorated with various paintings and shelves. It had several chairs and tables awaiting customers. I stood awkwardly next to Zuko as the shop owner looked us over. My heart raced tightly, this was my first day on the job afterall.

"Well... you certainly look like offical tea servers... how do you feel" the shop owner told us.

We each wore a smock to show we were servers and to put it mildly Iroh's did not fit.

"Ridiculous" Zuko scoffed.

"Fine" I added.

"Ahh... does this possible come in a larger size?" Iroh questioned with a blissful grin.

"I have extra string in the back, have some tea while you wait" the shop owner poured three tea cups and headed behind the store front.

"Ahug! This tea is nothing more then hot leaf juice!" Iroh complained after taking a sip.

"Uncle, that's what all tea is!"

"How could a member of my own family say something so horrible! We'll have to make some major changes around here!" Iroh stormed to the nearest window and threw the tea out.

"Whatever you think..." I muttered trying to hide a laugh.

"Don't encourage him" Zuko stirred crossing his arms.

~

I nearly collapsed on the floor the moment we got back to our house. Who knew working at a tea shop would be so tiring?

"Would you two like a pot of tea?" Iroh asked.

"We've been working in a tea shop all day! I'm sick of tea." Zuko urged laying out on the couch.

"Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!" Iroh argued looking around "Have you seen our spark rocks to heat up the water?"

"No, but when you find them I would be happy with a glass of Jasmine" I replied.

Iroh went away and came back with fresh spark rocks,
"I borrowed our neighbors, such kind people"

~

I quietly poured a glass of oolong tea to deliver to the next customer. All day business had been booming,  but luckily the day was almost out.

I listened in as Iroh poured tea for a table near the kitchen,
"This is the nest tea in the city!"

"The secret ingredient is love" Iroh replied as Zuko gave his Uncle the typical "you have to be kidding me" look.

"I think you're due for a raise!" The tea shop owner exclaimed towards Iroh.

Suddenly, as I was delivering my tea glass the door burst open. Jet.

The door caused my tea tray to fall to the floor.

"I'm tired of waiting.. these three are firebenders!" Jet yelled pointing towards us before getting out his weapon "I know they're firebenders... I saw the old man heating his tea!"

"He works in a tea shop" a customer replied.

"He's a firebender I'm telling you!" Jet defended.

"Drop your swords boy... nice and easy..." the customer stood up.

"You'll have to defend yourself, then everyone will know. Go ahead show them what you can do" Jet sighed looking towards me "still not budging huh? Perhaps this will give you some incentive"

Jet grabbed me and put one of his swords over my throat. I trembled, I had left my weapon at the house and definitely couldn't firebend. I saw Zuko's face stiffened, a fire brimming in his golden eyes.

Zuko rushed forward grabbing out his swords,
"Get the hell away from her! Don't you dare try to hurt her."

"Make me!" Jet grinned.

Not knowing what to do, I stepped on Jet's foot and elbowed him in the gut.
"Oww!"

Zuko grabbed my arm after Jet's grasp loosened and I hurried away. Zuko's focus went back on Jet,
"You are going to regret trying to hurt her" Zuko urged

The pair began fighting. Their swords clanged and clashed which escalated outside. Iroh and I headed after them.

"You must be getting tired of using your sword why don't you go ahead and firebend at me" Jet taunted.

"Please son you're confused! You don't know what you're doing!" Iroh shouted.

The outside was dark and looming. The crowd in the teashop began coming outside.

"Bet you wish you had the help of a little fireblasts right now"

"Your the one who needs help!" Zuko retorted slashing at Jet with his sword.

Jet jumped up in front of the gathering crowd,
"You see that? The Firenation is trying to silence me! It'll never happen."

The two circled eachother with their swords, each nearly missing the other. The silver of Zuko's blade shined dimly in the moonlight.

Two men approached the growing crowd, from their uniforms I could tell they were some sort of police,
"Drop your weapon"

"Arrest them they're firebenders!" Jet urged anger booming in his voice.

"This poor boy is confused! We're just simple refugees" Iroh exclaimed.

"This young man recked my tea shop and assaulted my employees!" The tea shop owner argued.

"It's true sir we saw the whole thing. This crazy kid attacked the finest tea maker in the city."

"Oh that's very sweet!" Iroh blushed.

"Come with us son" the police ordered taking away Jet's weapon and grabbing him.

"You don't understand they're firenation! You have to believe me!"

I watched as Jet was carried away before rushing over to Zuko,
"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine... are you okay? I'm so sorry that he tried to-"

"No-no it's fine. Let's forget about it all and head home" I muttered faking a smile. But my body still quivered ever so slightly under the harsh moonlight.

Okay so... next chapter is "The Tales of Ba Sing Sa" and y'all get ready cuz Zuko and (Y/N) are going on a date!!!