Ch 17: interrogation

Lloyd POV

It's been hours since the sun set.  The imposter is still tied up and knocked out, Kai is sleeping soundly, and I'm still keeping watch.  My hand is still throbbing and it hurts to touch but the worst of the pain is over.  I can hardly keep my eyes open and I debate on waking Kai.  I look over at his sleeping form. 

I close my eyes for a moment to find myself jolting awake again.  It's still dark out, but the once low fire has almost died down completely.  How long have I been out?  A few minutes?  An hour?  I look over at Kai again and see that his position changed.  I don't want to wake him, but I have to, or else I won't be able to stand tomorrow.

I reach over and shake him.  "Kai..." I say, jumping at the sound of my own voice.  When he doesn't move, I try again.  "Kai."  He stirs in his sleep and slightly cracks his eyes open.  He sees me and sits up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"What time is it?" He asks me sleepily.

"Early.  It's your turn for night watch."  He stretches and grabs his sword from beside him.

"Okay.  Go to sleep." He instructs. "Goodnight."

"Mhm." Is all I can say.  I'm way too tired to do anything but sleep.  I lay down where Kai once laid.  This spot is so warm...  I close my eyes, catching sleep the second I do so.

Kai POV

The blonde closes his eyes and falls asleep instantly.  I sit and watch the dying fire, embers and hot cinders resting in the ash.  The imposter lays still on the floor, far from conscious.  Suspicious of his unusual stillness, I check his pulse.  I keep my hand there for a few minutes but I can't fell anything.  The sleepiness in me disappears completely and I start to panic.  He has no pulse, but he was perfectly fine a few hours ago!  I look at Lloyd and back to the guy.  I have no idea what to do.  Suddenly, I feel movement underneath me.  I look to see the guy waking up.  What?

His eyes adjust to the dimness of the cave and he turns his head to me.  He glares at me.  I shake off thinking he was dead and come back to reality.  "I see you're awake." I say to him.

He continues to glare at me.  "How can I sleep when you are continuously prodding me?" He asks me.  I look at him in shock.

"H- how can you-"

"I was created to know the languages of those who are speaking around me." He says plainly.  Created?  Knowing the languages people speak around him?  Is he all there?

I shake myself from my shock.  "Shut up, imposter."

He stops glaring at me and his expression turns to interest.  He raises an eyebrow.  "Imposter?  What makes you think I'm an imposter?"

"Um, you pretended to be a harmless doctor in order to gain our trust so you can spill all of our information to the Overlord." I say crossing my arms.

He smirks at me.  "I was just doing what I was told.  I mean, I was created to follow orders."

"What do you mean by created?"

"Simple, fire ninja, I was created from the Overlord's shadow.  I am just a mere servant carrying out my Lord's mission."  He suddenly raises his voice.  "Hail to the Overlord!" I shove my hand over his mouth to silence him.  I sneak a glance over to see if he woke Lloyd.  He shifts in his sleep but otherwise, the blonde is still sleeping peacefully.  I remove my hand from his mouth and he gives a malicious and quiet laugh.  I glare at him.

"Something funny?" I ask him.  He stops laughing and looks me straight in the eyes.

"What does he mean to you?  I mean, after that lovely performance you put on last night, I'd assume you didn't want to care for him."