Ch 11: a stranger's help

Kai POV

I slowly open my eyes to see a clear sky and bright sunshine.  I try to move but my body is stiff.  After some effort I eventually sit up and look at my surroundings.  In front of me is a large pond surrounded by trees that stretch out for miles. Next to the pond is a huge mountain cliff that has to be hundreds of feet tall. I look down and notice half of me is sitting in the water. I start to move my legs but pain comes from my ankle. I scoot myself out of the water and onto the bank. I stretch my leg out in front of me and examine the damage. I rip away the fabric to expose my ankle. My ankle isn't broken, just sprained.

I examine other parts of my body to find any damage. I end up finding that I'm covered in dry mud, there is a deep cut on my arm, and a smaller cut on my face. Great. Add another scar to my face why don't you?

I try to recall what happened and how I ended up here. We were fighting those assassins, then a grenade went off, and Lloyd grabbed me... wait... LLOYD! I look around frantically for the blonde. I then see a head of blonde hair on the banks not too far from me, half of his body in the water like me.

I get up as fast as I can and I limp painfully over to him. When I make it to him I kneel besides him and I shake him to wake him up. When he doesn't respond, I flip him onto his side, careful of his shoulder wound, and I look at the damage. He's in worse shape than me. He is also covered in dry mud, his shoulder wound is covered in dry blood and mud, and he has a lot of dried blood on the side of his head. He must have hit his head. I hope he's okay. He isn't in his draginkin form.  I wonder why...

I shake him once more. "Lloyd? Lloyd buddy wake up! Come on, we have to find the others!" He doesn't respond. I check his pulse. Still a heartbeat. I check if he's breathing. He is, but it's slow. I need to get him medical attention immediately. I stand up again and I limp/drag him further onto the bank. I then see that he has a gash above the knee on his right leg. I look at him for a bit, not knowing what to do, then I look at the sky.

"You can tell what time it is by the position of the sun, the color of the sky, and the atmosphere." Katie's voice rings out in my head.  Okay, so last time it was almost evening, the sky was yellowish, it was cooler, and a storm was coming in.  I look at the sky for any of these characteristics.  The sky is blue, and the sun is off to the side.  It feels humid and are no storm clouds in sight.  It's morning.  We must have slept through the storm.  That must be one of the reasons why we're covered in dried mud.

I look at my unconscious friend.  I could try to carry him, but my ankle...  I get up and walk into the forest.  I find a sturdy stick and I take it back onto the bank.  I snap it in half and I put them to the side.  I take my ninja hood and I rip it into strips.  I take the sticks again and I make a makeshift splint for my ankle.  I then get up and limp over to Lloyd.  I decide to get to his wounds later and I walk over to the lake and clean my wounds.  I take the rest of my hood and I wrap it around my arm to stop it from getting infected.  I decide the cut on my face will be fine and I make my way over to Lloyd.

I rip off the fabric around his leg wound and I look at the damage.  The cut is really deep.  I drag him to the edge of the bank and I clean his wound.  I rip off part of my sleeve and I wrap it around his leg.  I move to clean his shoulder.  I take off his shirt to clean his wound but I stop to find myself blushing.  I've seen all the guys with their shirts off many times, so why do I get flustered around him?!?  It makes no sense!  I mean, I like girls, I always have!  But his abs...  I almost slap myself.  Wtf Kai?!?!  The guy is practically dying, clean his wounds already!

I clean his shoulder but I wouldn't have enough cloth to wrap it up.  I guess he'll just have to manage.  I then move to his head and I clean away the blood to find a nasty bruise in place of it.  Seeing it sets me off so I check his pulse again.  Still alive.  I finish cleaning him and while I have his shirt off I try to clean the mud off of him.  After I've finished with that I look at the sky again.  The sun is almost in the center of the sky.  It's almost noon.  I return his shirt onto his body and I look around, unsure of what to do next.  I try waking him up again.