Day 20 - Cat Got Your Tongue

Chat Noir glanced over at Marinette, tilting his head.

"So how's that crush of yours doing?" he asked, smirking when she tensed. Her eyes moved to glare at him, and she put down her drink.

"He's fine, thank you for asking," she said, looking at him suspiciously. "Why are you asking?" He sat up straighter, shrugging and giving her a smile.

"Just curious. You looked like you were thinking about him," he told her, and he watched her eyes narrow at him again. She looked back out at the city, a furtive air about her.

"Yeah..." she dragged out, moving her eyes down to her lap. Chat watched her closely, hearing the shift in her voice. He could tell something had been bothering her, so he'd taken her out on a picnic that evening. He was hoping to find out what was going on.

"What is it?" he asked gently, watching her draw circles on her thigh. She sighed out tensely.

"I just...I don't know if I like my crush anymore," she admitted, still looking down. Chat blinked in surprise, wondering what had changed. His suspicions led him to believe she liked Luka, but he wasn't completely sure.

"What happened?" he wondered, scooting a little closer. The fingers moving against her leg stopped, and he eagerly awaited her answer.

"Well, uh," she started, and Chat happened to glance up at her face, seeing that it was bright red. Her eyes met his, and she flinched, turning her head quickly.

"You see, um," she laughed nervously, and he felt his heart skip a beat. Why had she gotten so shy? She was usually shy around him as Adrien, but he always thought that meant she didn't like him that much. Lately, she'd been less and less skittish, but around Chat Noir she'd been getting more and more flustered.

The realization hit him like a ton of bricks, and he felt pretty blind. How could he have not seen it before?

If what he was thinking was correct, then Marinette's crush had shifted to Chat Noir, and that thought made him blush too. But that shocked expression soon turned to a mischievous one. He was going to find out if what he'd deducted was really true.

He looked back over to her, seeing that she was still looking down with bright red cheeks. He smirked, moving a little closer.

"Cat got your tongue?" he asked, and she jumped again, looking at him.

"N-no," she got out, shaking her head. She kept eye contact with him as he moved even closer.

"Do you want him to?" he asked without really thinking. His heart was racing as she backed away, blinking at him with wide eyes. He was blushing again, wondering if he'd really just said that to her. She laughed a little, grabbing his attention again.

"If I were to kiss you, Chat Noir, it wouldn't be after you said something dumb like that," she said, pointing an accusing finger at him. Both of them were bright red despite the airs they were trying to put on, but that statement from her nearly knocked him over.

"You want to kiss me?" he asked quietly after thinking for a few moments. Her mouth dropped open, and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I never said that," she stated, turning her head and allowing him to feel completely flustered for a second. He'd wanted to be confident, but her comebacks were only making him more and more shy. Maybe she really did like him.

He took a deep breath, trying to work his way back into his Chat Noir persona.

"You implied it though," he spoke smoothly, watching her look back over at him.

"That's it, I'm going home," she announced, getting up and starting to walk towards the other end of the roof. Chat got up as well, catching up to her.

"You can't leave now," he whined, smiling to himself. "You haven't kissed me yet." She stopped walking, glaring at his dumb smile, the blush on her face spreading down into her shoulders.

"You'll be waiting for a long time," she shot back, but he only gasped, putting both hands on his cheeks in exaggerated shock.

"But it's going to happen at some point?" he asked enthusiastically, and she furrowed her eyebrows, looking at him incredulously and putting her hands on her hips.

"I might kill you before then," she said through her teeth, shaking her head as she watched him. He moved closer once again, seeing her collected facade break slightly.

"Kill me with a kiss?" he asked, letting out a laugh as she pushed him away, turning her back to him.

"I'm done! You can take me home now," she said absolutely, and Chat could hear some seriousness in her voice, thinking that maybe he'd teased her too much.

"Okay, I'm sorry," he chuckled, trying to walk around to face her. She kept turning so he couldn't see her face, making him laugh again. "I'll stop," he said, holding up his hands. She huffed, turning to glance at him.

"You're not sorry," she pointed out, and he shrugged, his cheeks feeling a little cooler.

"You're right, but I will stop," he smiled, watching as she finally turned around and let him see her face. There were traces of pink on her cheeks, but she mostly just looked slightly amused, even if she was trying to hide that fact.

"At least I didn't have to shut you up with a kiss," she said quietly, her eyes going wide as she realized what she'd done.

"Were you really going to?" he asked a little too excitedly, and she pouted angrily, watching his enthusiasm.

"Don't make me do it, you dumb cat," she said, glaring at him. The look in her eyes really did back up what she'd said. She didn't want to, but she would if she had to. It made his heart skip a beat, and he dropped the game, not wanting to make her really angry.

"Okay," he laughed, holding up his hands again. "Let's get you home," he spoke, gathering up the blanket and drinks he'd brought.

When he moved back over to her, he barely caught her watching him with a warm smile, but it was there. And it made him a lot more flustered than it should have. 

_____

thank you all for reading! it means so much to me <3

stay tuned!

mel x