𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑺𝒊𝒙

Chapter Twenty Six,
Sick

THE GROUP had been driving south for a few days resting in any place they found safe, moving at first light, scavenging and searching for a place to call home, but home seemed a long lost dream and everyone was tired and exhausted.

"We got no place left to go," said T-Dog.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off," Maggie said. "We'll never make it South."

"What would you say?" Daryl asked. "That was about 150 head?"

"That was last week," Glenn said. "It could be twice that by now."

"This river could have delayed them," Hershel chimed in. "If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through there."

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one,they could spill out this way," T-Dog said.

"So we're blocked," Maggie sighed.

"Only thing to do is double back at 27 and swing towards Greenville," Rick said.

"Yeah, we picked through that already. It's like we spent the winter going in circles," T-Dog said.

"Yeah, I know. I know," Rick started. "At Newnan we'll push west. Haven't been through there yet. We can't keep going house to house. Need to find someplace to hole up for a few weeks."

"All right. It cool if we get to the creek before we head out? Won't take long. We got to fill up on water. We can boil it later," said T-Dog.

"Knock yourself out," Hershel told him.

Hershel had Rick convinced to let the group rest a bit before they continued their search. Daryl, Rick, and Adam went hunting and were back not with food but a place.

They discovered a prison that seemed like a promising place, prompting the group to return to their cars and head there.

"Watch the backside," Daryl advised as Rick opened a gap in the fence for the group to pass, with Walkers surrounding the area on both sides.

"Hurry. Hurry!" Rick whispered as they sneaked in.

"It's perfect. If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight," he said, pointing to the gate.

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked.

"I'll do it," Adam told them. "You guys cover me."

"No, I'll go," Glenn said.

"No," Maggie argued. "It's a suicide run."

"I'm the fastest," Glenn told her.

"No, you, Maggie, and Beth draw as many as you can over there," Rick said. "Pop 'em through the fence."

"Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste," Rick said, handing Carol a shotgun.

"Hershel, you and Carl take this tower," he continued. "T-Dog, Angie, and Brad help the others distract the walkers. Chloe and I will run for the gate. Adam, you cover us from here in case we need any backup."

"I'll do this, Chloe stays here," Adam said, worried about his little sister.

"No, Adam, I'll be fine," Chloe told him.

"She has a bow in case we need it, less noise," Rick explained. "That'll be good for the distraction that you guys will provide for us."

"Take care, okay?" Adam said, patting Chloe on the shoulder.