Step in Time

Okay, if by this time you still don't know that I don't own the Beatles, then all my fab disclaimers have obviously been wasted on you. *Sniff sniff*

A/N: It's the last chapter! Thanks so much, everybody, it's been a truly wild ride! Also, Escape of the Nerk Twins is up now! Come and read it! Thanks so much to all my wonderful reviewers since last time: on WattPad, Macca40, heroesforghosts, MasterofFire, RingosOctopus, and Dreamlovegood901; on FanFiction, Macca's Little Teddy Bear, the Mysterious Guest, and the guest Peyton!

A/N II:  The video is of the song in this chapter with lyrics! (that way, you can sing along if you want ;0)

The last note of "Long Tall Sally" faded quickly under the screams of the fans. Paul started to pull his bass over his head, preparing to race offstage, when John leaned in toward the microphone.

"Now, for our very last number," started John. Paul had a very minor panic attack as he glanced, alarmed, from Ringo to George. Ringo looked just as baffled as Paul was, but George was grinning mischievously.

John continued, "We'd like to play one of our favourites." He grinned in exactly the same way George was. "We heard it in a film that came out a couple of months ago, but we had a more . . . rock 'n' roll take on it." The rhythm guitarist turned to look at George and Paul, where they shared the second mic. "Ready?"

"No!" said Paul loudly, but John ignored him. He and George began to sing and play:

"One, two, three, fawar!

Kick your knees up,

Step in time,

Kick your knees up,

Step in time,

Never need a reason,

Never need a rhyme,

Kick your knees up,

Step in time!"

The entire audience, along with Paul and Ringo, was reduced to stunned silence for a second. Gradually, the fans began to sing along, and Ringo added a rather Latin-sounding drumbeat. Paul decided to throw caution to the winds, and jumped in with a pounding bass. By the last two lines, John was very literally kicking his knees up, leaping around the stage manically.

"Your turn, Macca!" yelled John.

"Jazz hands!" sang Paul. John and George joined in:

"Step in time,

Jazz hands!

Step in time,

Never need a reason,

Never need a rhyme,

Jazz hands!

Step in time!"

As they sang, the audience obeyed them: the Beatles grinned as they saw thousands of jazz hands fluttering in the audience. George added a catchy guitar riff to the end.

"Give us a verse, lad!" called John to George in a ridiculously fake Cockney accent.

"Okay!" replied George. He started to continue, but out of the corner of his eye he saw someone emerging onto the stage. He turned to see who it was, and paled. "Brian, get off the stage!"

John and Paul exchanged a smirk as they sang:

"Step in time,

Brian, get off the stage,

Step in time,

Never need a reason,

Never need a rhyme,

Brian, get off the stage,

Step in time!"

Evidently, Brian realized that the Beatles were a force of nature he could not control. Burying his face in his hands, the manager stumbled back off the stage.

"Now it's the drummer's turn!" crowed John, turning around and giving Ringo a thumbs-up.

"It's a stop sign!" yelled Ringo, pounding on the drums.

"Step in time,

It's a stop sign!

Step in time,

Never need a reason,

Never need a rhyme,

It's a stop sign!

Step in time!"

John grinned evilly. Even George looked slightly intimidated as the band's leader sang, "Kiss a Beatle!"

The spell was broken. The crowd screamed and surged forward.

"Let's go!" yelled George.

"We've got to finish the verse!" yelled John. And so they continued:

"Step in time,

Kiss a Beatle!

Step in time,

Never need a reason,

Never need a rhyme,

Kiss a Beatle!

Step . . . in . . . . time!"

John, Paul, and George harmonized the last word – not that anyone could hear over the screams. Some of the girls had broken through police barricades, triumphantly reaching the base of the stage.

John leaned back to the microphone. "Thank you very much!" he said in a falsetto.

Ringo stood up, and in unison, the Beatles bowed low. All four wigs tumbled off. John's rolled off the stage into the audience, where it was snatched by a fan's groping hand. The bright lights shone on the Beatles' bald caps as they ran offstage, into the waiting arms of Mal, Neil, and Brian.

FINIS

A/N: Thanks for reading! Eager for more fun with John, Paul, George and Ringo? Then go read Escape of the Nerk Twins! You can find it on my profile page or by searching it :0)