I cupped the delicate china in my hand while passing Jax one. My fingers curled around the warm dish as I thought about what to say. I didn't want to scare Isabella, but she needed to understand the danger she was in if she was not already aware.

"We were worried about you," Jax started.

I looked over to see Jax leaning on the armrest, sipping his tea. His eyes were fixed on me, waiting for me to keep speaking.

"Thank you, Jax. We worried for your safety," I continued. "With my disappearance, you would be blamed and Nicholas might blame you for my departure."

The partial lie rolled off my tongue and I took a sip of the blood-red liquid. The tea warmed my lips and traveled to the rest of my body. The taste also alerted my stomach to the presence of something other than air. It released a low groan and the sound drew the attention of my companions. I must have been out of water long enough for my stomach to need nutrients.

Isabella laughed and stood up. She placed her teacup down and I followed her example.

"Why don't we have breakfast as I recall everything that has happened since your disappearance. After all, you've always been rather short-tempered with an empty stomach."

I bit back my retort, daring Isabella to continue as Jax chuckled lightly. Her chin jutted out, refusing to atone for her jest.

Isabella led us to the dining room. Before I could sit, Jax pulled the chair out for both Isabella and me, respectively. I was stunned. I had not given Jax enough credit, he did want to impress Isabella.

Isabella rang the bell and the small chime carried into the kitchen as Jax took his seat.

"You look surprised, do you think that in my long life I would never learn how to treat a lady?" Jax spoke under his breath, my sensitive ears picking up his voice over the maids. "We need her."

"You've never hinted at them before," I retorted, put off by the sudden realization that I didn't know Jax as well as I had thought or rather assumed.

Olivia and another maid appeared and set the table before Jax could respond. I looked across the finally made tablecloth Isabella who was staring into my soul.

The kitchen doors opened and the smell of eggs and toast made my mouth water. When the plates were set down, I immediately began eating and filling my empty stomach. The food was delicious and I forgot how long it had been since I last ate. I could see Olivia and Jax watching me with opposite expressions. Olivia looked like she was trying to hide her disgust while Jax looked like he was trying not to laugh. I knew I was eating at an alarming rate, but my starved stomach demanded more food as soon as I swallowed.

"You are excused, Olivia. Please bring Elizabeth and wait in the servant's quarters." Oliva bowed her head, and left, lingering at the door for a fraction of a second before disappearing through it. We sat in silence for a minute, Isabella watching the door as if judging her maid's curiosity.

"After you left," Isabella started, "Father came to see if you ran here. Rest assured he found nothing," she hurriedly continued upon seeing my expression. "There was nothing left for him to find and I claimed I hadn't written to you since your engagement. Then he sent out the men to find you. My husband, father, and your fiance, or rather ex-fiance, left two days ago with a promise to return in a few days. Until then, you can stay here to plan your new escape."

I finished eating and listened to Isabella's account. I needed to stay here long enough to earn her trust and steal her away.

"Great," I grit through a tight smile.

I glanced at Jax and he nodded, understanding that we would need to keep her safe. She was no longer just my sister, but the greatest hope the Spirits had of learning about the Hunters before they found our refuge.

"Why don't you run away with us?" I leaned forward, taking her hand, "We can get a ship and sail away. We can take some mementos and jewels and make a new life for ourselves away from our family. We could-"

Isabella interrupted me with a hand on my wrist. She had a sad smile, but her eyes were light, accepting.

"I love you and would love nothing more than to run away with you," a deep breath, "but I have responsibilities I cannot abandon."

I looked at Jax and back at my sister. If Isabella wouldn't come with us willingly, I would have to force her. If lying was needed, it was a small price to pay, but she wasn't giving in to my request.

"What responsibilities?" I asked, my stomach rolling from more than the sudden food.

"Something you will not need to know about now that you are free and as for conditions," Isabella placed her hand on her stomach. "There are some things I can't run from."

It took a moment for my brain to make the connection. I felt my face pale as I suddenly realized how much harder our task had become.

"You're pregnant?" I stuttered.

I felt my eyes tear up. I was going to be an aunt, but the parents harbored no love for each other. Isabella would make an outstanding mother, but now I was responsible for saving two lives.

"Yes, Maurea. As much as I hate it, I can't be going on an adventure right now and running away from everything. I am finally starting to become happy here and, as long as you're safe, I can live in peace with this decision."

"I'll leave you alone to talk." Jax stood up to leave the room, but a sharp glance from Isabella stopped him.

"Maurea, can I please have a word with Jax?"

I glanced at him in confusion as he sat down. Isabella let go of my wrist and shooed me out of the room. I stood just outside the door, but I couldn't hear anything. Defeated, I sat in one of the chairs and looked out at the workers in the field and the carts passing by. I waved at a man and he tipped his hat up at me. After a few minutes passed, Jax opened the door and waved me back in with a serious face.

"Your sister wants to talk with you," Jax offered, adjusting his cloak, not meeting my eyes.

"Did she say why?" I asked, feeling my nerves fire.

"Nothing much, but you were wrong about her." Jax stuck out his chin and puffed a non-existent chest. "She seems to like me. Though it did take a bit of interrogating on her part."

"What did you tell her?" I suddenly panicked, thinking of the woman I was about the face.

Jax didn't reply, choosing instead to cross his arms and stare at me with mock menace.

"Never mind," I brushed past him, "I'll find out for myself."

"Good luck," Jax laughed as the door closed leaving me with my sister.