"I didn't know if you were safe or if our father had found you and I've been terrified that one day he would appear dragging you with him." Isabella drew back and cupped my face as she used to when we were little. "What happened and who is this man?"

She pulled me closer, angling me away from the smirking Jax. The smile was replaced with thin lips as she studied him closely. I didn't miss her lingering gaze on his eyes and I prayed they would not flash.

I laughed and wiped the tears from my face, tugging on my sister's arm. She looked back at me, glancing between the two of us.

It was in her nature to be suspicious and curious, but for this one moment, I had her back. Isabella was alright and safe and I was with her again. I felt invincible.

"I'll explain everything." I turned to look at Jax who was studying us, most likely reflecting on my earlier claim that we shared the same features. "May we come in?"

Isabella nodded and ushered us inside the lavish front hall. The stairs curve along both walls leading to an upper floor. A chandelier hung above us casting light on the deep blue carpet and lavish artwork.

Isabella took my hand and led us into the sitting room to the right of the hall and called in a maid.

"Olivia, this is my sister and her friend. Please, when my husband returns, never mention them." Olivia nodded and studied both our faces, her eyes rested on Jax and I felt anger surge through my veins for a moment. "Could you please get us some tea?"

The maid in question had smaller eyes that seemed to sharpen when she saw me. I tensed, waiting for her to say something, accuse me of being a runaway. The world seemed at the tip of her tongue, but she just took a sharp breath and smiled. "Of course, my lady."

Oliva retreated from the room, throwing a glance at Jax over her shoulder. I narrowed my eyes at her figure and turned to look at Jax who was studying me with a small smirk playing at his lips.

"Maurea, where have you been? I heard that there was a storm a few days after you left and that all ships had retreated to shore."

Isabella's eyes were wide and she looked at me as though I had just risen from a grave. It was ironic because, in a sense, I had.

"I tried to find the ship, but matters arose and I was forced to retreat. By the sounds of it, that was a good thing." I looked over at Jax who was standing across from us. "Jax helped me and kept me safe."

Isabella looked at my clothing and Jax with his attractive features. I could almost read her thoughts as her eyebrow slowly began to raise. The male clothes, our proximity, it wasn't a large leap.

"He is a good and dear friend," I hissed at her, eyes wide and leaning forward.

"Alright, dear sister. If you say so." Isabella walked over and sat on the single couch leaving the loveseat and a small duvet." Please, take a seat."

I walked over to the loveseat and sat, expecting Jax to take the duvet, but he sat next to me instead. Isabella looked at me as if daring me to explain, trying to gain a reaction to my companion's brash action. I didn't give her the satisfaction and instead looked straight at her with thin lips.

Olivia returned with a tea set and placed the silver lightly on the glass and steel table. The pot and cups were painted with small violets like Isabella and I used to pick when we were children. I reached forward to pour the red tea into each cup and the smell of hibiscus and orange filled the air.

"So why did you come here, Maurea," she said while preparing her cup. Sugar with minimal tea as usual. "I missed you terribly, but there has to be a reason."