Brooklyn rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I guess he is. Also I'm not sure that being unfriended is really something you should be proud of."

"That's what you think, but I choose to be proud of everything I do. I'm fucking fantastic," Shawn said cockily.

"One time I saw you eat pizza out of a trashcan. Like it had literal trash on it."

"I stand by that. I am a living legend," replied Shawn.

"Yeah... sure you are," said Brooklyn. "I gotta go to class."

Brooklyn didn't wait for Shawn to reply before hurriedly moving down the hallway and entering her intended destination. Unfortunately, Seth's homeroom was in a different class, so she had yet to see him that day. She sat down in a random desk just as the bell rang.

The school day passed relatively quickly. Unfortunately, she came to realize that she didn't have any classes with Seth, but she did get to sit with him at lunch along with the rest of their friends. She wasn't that surprised though— she had signed up for a lot of advanced classes, while Seth had opted for easier classes. He wasn't that into school. If she was being honest, neither was she— her mom had been the one to push her towards a more academic route. Her mom had tried to do the same with Paul, and he had graduated ninth in his class, but ultimately he had decided not to apply to any colleges. Instead he opted to take a gap year in hopes of figuring out what he wanted to do with his life.

It wasn't as if Brooklyn didn't want to go to college. She really hoped to one day, but the older she got, the more competitive academics became, and the more aware she became of her family's financial situation. They weren't poor, but her mother worked more than most of her friend's parents did. She was a single mother with two kids, and Brooklyn's father's child support checks only helped so much— Paul's father didn't no longer needed to send child support (not that he had ever really done in the first place), so that didn't help. Brooklyn was thankful for everything her mother had done for her and Paul, so she was doing her best to secure not only a spot in a university, but a scholarship as well. There was no way she could go to college without one. At least not without asking her father, and even then, she doubted he cared about her enough to help like that.

"Seth!" Brooklyn called out. He had just come out of his last class. They had plans to hang out after school seeing as the first day never yielded much homework.

"Hey," Seth smiled at her. "Leah just texted me. She said that she got called into work. That means we have the house to ourselves for an hour until my dad comes home from work."

Brooklyn loved spending time alone with Seth. Not to sound too codependent, but he was her favorite person in the whole world, and she looked forward to the time they spent together— this feeling had only intensified as their relationship became more romantic in nature.

Some time later, Brooklyn was laying in Seth's bed with her head on his chest. His hand was stroking her bare shoulder. Brooklyn wished that she could freeze this moment— she wanted to remember it forever and revisit it should anything ever change.

"Are you sure Leah won't notice that we stole some of her condoms?" Brooklyn asked.

"She hasn't needed them since Sam broke up with her," Seth replied. "And even if she did still need them, I don't think she counts them. I've been stealing them from her drawer for months... like before they broke up even. She hasn't said anything about it."

Brooklyn opened her mouth to respond, but their conversation was interrupted by the sound of the garage door opening.

"Crap. I totally lost track of time," Seth said as he moved to get dressed. Brooklyn scrambled to redress and fix her hair. Just as she sat back down on the bed— fully clothed this time— Harry Clearwater knocked on the door.